[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Assembler info wanted

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.102600.47413@cc.usu.edu> slmvk@cc.usu.edu writes:

>        3.  Any PD asms out there that can include binary files?

     I don't know about your other questions, but the latest version
of my A68k (not even distributed yet!) adds the INCBIN directive.
This feature, implemented due to a number of requests, causes the
contents of any file to be included as is in the object code output.
If you need it fast, we could always do a snail mail transfer.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

slmvk@cc.usu.edu (04/15/91)

	Just a couple of questions for you assembler gurus out there:

	1.  Can someone give me a list of the PD assemblers out there?
	2.  What is the SEKA assembler I hear about from europe?  Is it PD?
	3.  Any PD asms out there that can include binary files?

	Thanx for any help.

						Jon Taylor
						SLMVK@cc.usu.edu

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (04/18/91)

 I dont have a list but my favorite was A68K.
 SEKA is not something I would work with (I seen the old version of it,
 the latest is suposed to be mutc better ?!)
 I dont remember A68K having an 'incbin' equivalent, so if you use A68K
 you can alway use include and converte you binary into dc...
 But 2 years ago Devpac2 was under 70$, so if you want something serious
 the investment is worth it!

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (04/20/91)

slmvk@cc.usu.edu writes:

>	Just a couple of questions for you assembler gurus out there:
>
>	1.  Can someone give me a list of the PD assemblers out there?
>	2.  What is the SEKA assembler I hear about from europe?  Is it PD?
>	3.  Any PD asms out there that can include binary files?
>
>	Thanx for any help.
>
>						Jon Taylor
>						SLMVK@cc.usu.edu

1:  Asm68k (if i recall the name correctly) is PD.  there is also a demo
version of a 1.0 version of the commercial DevPac assembler, however it has
no include files.

2:  The Seka assembler is NOT pd.  even if people tell you so, or it looks
like it.  Seka is copyright by Kuma corporation from germany.  There are a
thousand hacked up versions out there by hackers that look like they are PD,
but they are not.  they are illegal hacks.  besides that, the seka assembler
is a piece of garbage that promotes bad programming habits.

3:  not sure about includeing binary files in Asm68k.. Charlie? you have the
answer? (Charlie Gibbs is the programmer, and is on the net)

UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (04/21/91)

In article <4659@orbit.cts.com> chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
>2:  The Seka assembler is NOT pd.  even if people tell you so, or it looks
>like it.

This is correct.

>Seka is copyright by Kuma corporation from germany.

However, this is wrong. Kuma is a british software company, with the
Amiga-Version of their Seka-Assembler having been their one and only Amiga
product, as far as I know. They are still developing on the Atari ST, though.

>besides that, the seka assembler
>is a piece of garbage that promotes bad programming habits.

An this is totally correct again!

Bye,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

jsmoller@jsmami.UUCP (Jesper Steen Moller) (04/22/91)

In article <holgerl.1391@amiux.UUCP>, Holger Lubitz writes:

> In article <4659@orbit.cts.com> chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:

> >Seka is copyright by Kuma corporation from germany.
>
> However, this is wrong. Kuma is a british software company, with the
> Amiga-Version of their Seka-Assembler having been their one and only Amiga
> product, as far as I know. They are still developing on the Atari ST, though.

They have also done K-Spread and K-Gadget (mabye more..) for the Amiga,
actually. K-Spread is a spreadsheet, although not as good as Analyze I've
heard. K-Gadget is a window/gadget layout program like PowerWindows,
but as far as I've read, PowerWindows is K-Gadget superior.

> >besides that, the seka assembler
> >is a piece of garbage that promotes bad programming habits.
>
> An this is totally correct again!

And another thing that's too correct is that many European kids (an
expression used before in this newsgroup) use this assembler as
it's only ~25Kb and has an integrated editor and is fairly easy
to use.
Most European demos are coded in Seka or a seka-clone (somebody
actually ReSourced the Seka and built more commands into it.)

> Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

Greets, Jesper

Jesper Steen Moller   ///  VOICE: +45 31 62 46 45
Maglemosevej 52  __  ///  USENET: cbmehq!cbmdeo!jsmoller
DK-2920 Charl    \\\///  FIDONET: 2:231/84.45
Denmark           \XX/