[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] A.AUF Re: Need help with FastDiskII pr

o.wagner@link-esw.zer.sub.org (04/24/91)

I'm the guy who hacked up the original "FASTDISK 1.5" (written by
Thorsten Stolpmann) with the nifty Intuition interface -- called
FastDiskII.

Although Fastdisk 1.5 worked properly, FastDiskII won't. I've done
some testing with my compile-time version, found it working all
right, did a recompile using GO (the global deformizer) and released
this version - WITHOUT testing. Wrong, as I know by now.

A little hint: FORGET FASTDISK II. Forget it forever; it's totally
messed up. I don't have the source code, and even if I had, I
wouldn't change anything more.

There is a improved (!) version of Fastdisk 1.5 done by the original
author, called FastDisk 1.8, which *WORKS*, and works even better.
Use this, or look for some other optimizer which correctly works with
FFS disks (Fastdisk 1.8 won't).

Olli

%/% auch identitaet erfordert dasein
%/% oliver wagner/auf dem stein 5/3441 weissenborn/05659518
%/% khazad dhum/linksys esw/056591307/24h dst

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (04/25/91)

In article <9104221938.93.8926@LINK-ESW>, o.wagner@link-esw.zer.sub.org writes:

> I'm the guy who hacked up the original "FASTDISK 1.5" (written by
> Thorsten Stolpmann) with the nifty Intuition interface -- called
> FastDiskII.
>
> Although Fastdisk 1.5 worked properly, FastDiskII won't. I've done
> some testing with my compile-time version, found it working all
> right, did a recompile using GO (the global deformizer) and released
> this version - WITHOUT testing. Wrong, as I know by now.
>
> A little hint: FORGET FASTDISK II. Forget it forever; it's totally
> messed up. I don't have the source code, and even if I had, I
> wouldn't change anything more.
>
> There is a improved (!) version of Fastdisk 1.5 done by the original
> author, called FastDisk 1.8, which *WORKS*, and works even better.
> Use this, or look for some other optimizer which correctly works with
> FFS disks (Fastdisk 1.8 won't).

	Can anyone who has the newer FastDisk please FTP it to ab20?
Thanks!

Earle
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake