[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Was real programming, now GUI/Mac program rave

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr22.103115.3443@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1991Apr19.003233.16889@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>>   I'm working on a custom screen and I'd like to manipulate several
>> "text windows" without using real Intuition windows.  In fact, I am
>> trying to emulate the manner in which MSDOS applications allow
>> "windowing" on text-based screens.  I think the Layers library is
>> ideal for doing this?
>
> Why are you doing this?
>
> If this is for a real program, please reconsider. The biggest advantage that
> the Mac has is that Apple sits down hard on developers that break with their
> look and feel (and sits down hard on competitors that don't. :-<). In any case,
> proghrams should work as hard as they can to stick to the general Amiga user
> interface. Why make things harder for yourself when all it'll do is hurt?
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Not the sort of Mac programs I use. Most scientific mac programs don't
follow Apple's rules. Systat doesn't even support the delete key!
The "same user interface" stuff on the mac is greatly overstated. (IMHO)

Regards  Alan