[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Where do I find the Seka Assembler???

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu (04/26/91)

   In so many EuroDemos, the coders talk about the Seka assembler.

   Also, all of the source code I've seen for demos was written with Seka.

   Is this a commercial product?  If so, where is it available and how much
does it cost?  If NOT, *where can I get one*???

    Kevin

|      ///  Kevin "Visionary will be done RSN" Kelm          |
|     ///  kskelm@happy.colorado.edu                         |
| \\\/// "Reality is subjective-- if you can make your own,  |
|  \XX/ then who's crazy? That's entertainment software!"-me |
| C code run.  Run, code, run--PLEASE!                       |

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (04/27/91)

kskelm@happy.colorado.edu writes:

>   In so many EuroDemos, the coders talk about the Seka assembler.
>
>   Also, all of the source code I've seen for demos was written with Seka.
>
>   Is this a commercial product?  If so, where is it available and how much
>does it cost?  If NOT, *where can I get one*???
>
>    Kevin

Well, yes, and no.  Yes, Seka is Commercial.  it is a german product made by
Kuma Corp.  it wasn't very good, and was the only thing available in europe.
well, i don't think it's available here.  a bunch of hackers though
dis-assembled it and modified it (upgraded?) and released these hacked up
versions all over the place, these are illegal though.  A68k should be able to
assemble it.  i have about a dozen demo sources that assemble ok, probably the
very one that was posted.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.214452.1@happy.colorado.edu> kskelm@happy.colorado.edu writes:

>   In so many EuroDemos, the coders talk about the Seka assembler.
>
>   Also, all of the source code I've seen for demos was written with Seka.
>
>   Is this a commercial product?  If so, where is it available and how much
>does it cost?  If NOT, *where can I get one*???
>
>    Kevin

Seka assembler is indeed a commercial product released by Kuma computers. Their
version is hopelessly inferior to the hacker versions that are out there
though. I am not sure about this but try to get your hands on AsmOne instead.
It should be able to compile most seka source and it is faster, supports 680x0
and assorted other goodies.

/Jorgen
--
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se | DUMII: Sentinel of the scales
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (04/28/91)

About the K-Seka assembler

Believe me, you don't want to use the Seka ... This asm is so lame .. you
wouldn't believe it. It's one of the best reason why european demos were
(are) so badly programmed (I mean break on a lot of configurations).

I don't know about the latest hacked-upgraded versions tho, but you'd
really better buy a good commercial product (DevPac for ex.), you'll be
able to compile the Seka sources without (or with very little)
modifications ... and you'll actually be able to _use_ the asm for your
own programs after that. Most of these compilers also have debuggers, and
you want to have one of these when you learn asm ! (-:

And don't take these source as good examples of programmation, some are,
most are good examples of taking over the machine and playing with the
hardware registers (which makes them very hard to understand if you don't
know a good deal about the machine's hardware). I would say, you should be
an experienced programmer before you play with these, otherwise you're
gonna take bad habbits.

But of course, it's allways more fun to modify a program doing nice
colorfull fancy scrollings than opening a window to print "Hello World"
when you start learning, and it's more impressive for your friends too ...
(-:

         JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne@lbl.gov           - The postmaster allways pings twice (soon
in your mailbox!)

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (04/28/91)

The Seka's are TERRIBLE.  I feel the BEST assembler is Macro 68 by the puzzle
factory.. no doubt in my mind, but then it's not cheap either.. guess it's up
to you.