[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] FFS write protect

GHGADC7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (04/22/91)

With the command lock you can set/clear the write-protect flag of a harddisk,
but after a reset this flag is cleared. A searched my harddisk partition but
couldn't find anything that changed by setting the protection, so I think the
only thing that changes is some stupid FFS structure in memory.

Is this correct ? And if so is there another way of setting the
write-protection of a harddisk ???

Harddisks dont't need bootblocks, is this because of KS1.3 or is this a sort
of system patch done by the harddisk controller ???  If it's a system patch
I wondered if changing the program that is stored in the first track of an
A590 harddisk would help ???

                 Penders Alain

                 ghgadc7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be

jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) (04/26/91)

In article <91112.163239GHGADC7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGADC7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>only thing that changes is some stupid FFS structure in memory.
>
>Is this correct ? And if so is there another way of setting the
>write-protection of a harddisk ???

Yup, that's correct.  Hard disks arn't write-protectable.  Its not
like they've got some physical piece of hardware like a floppy does.
About the only thing you could do is cut the write lead to the
disk drive.

--

 |_o_o|\\
 |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
 | .  | ||  Software
 | o  | ||   Distillery
 |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
 ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (04/29/91)

In article 17312.3.995.2 Jay Denebin writes:
>In article <91112.163239GHGADC7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be>
> GHGADC7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>>only thing that changes is some stupid FFS structure in memory.
>>
>>Is this correct ? And if so is there another way of setting the
>>write-protection of a harddisk ???
>
>Yup, that's correct.  Hard disks arn't write-protectable.  Its not
>like they've got some physical piece of hardware like a floppy does.
>About the only thing you could do is cut the write lead to the
>disk drive.

>>                 Penders Alain
>>
>>                 ghgadc7@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be

>--

> |_o_o|\\
> |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
> | .  | ||  Software
> | o  | ||   Distillery
> |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
> ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
>                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934

So if you put a switch into the write line as mentioned above, what
does the OS do if the switch is OFF when trying to write to the disk?
I would assume an error would be generated.  If so, what type would it
be?  Could it be checked with batch/ARexx?

Thanks in advance...

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com