[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Rad problem

dsg@cci632.cci.com (David Greenberg) (04/26/91)

	I have an A2000 with 3 megs of ram (fastram) and I when I try to
format my rad with more than 22 cyls. (Low=0 High=21) I get a checksum error!!
Anyone have any Idea why????

Is there some kind of limit???

						Dave

darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.235004.14460@cci632.cci.com> dsg@ccird1.UUCP (David Greenberg) writes:

>	I have an A2000 with 3 megs of ram (fastram) and I when I try to
>format my rad with more than 22 cyls. (Low=0 High=21) I get a checksum error!!
>Anyone have any Idea why????
>
>Is there some kind of limit???
>

>						Dave

 There is no such limit of 22; which version of ramdrive.device, and which version
of FORMAT ... also, have you verified that the MEMORY is good?  RAD allocates
from the highest memory location that it can; the starting address decreases as
the size increases.

Small but possible problem; make sure your devs:mountlist entry for the
mountlist you are _actually_ _using_ at bootup has a highcyl entry greater
than 21 for your Rad: device.  I remember some being issued with the 22
cylinder setup for small memory configurations; not having the memory
allocated could be a possible cause for format errors.

Kent, the man from xanth.

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (04/28/91)

The following devs:mountlist entry works just fine for me:

RAD:		Device = ramdrive.device
			Unit = 0
			Flags = 0
			Surfaces = 2
			BlocksPerTrack = 11
			Reserved = 2
			Interleave = 0
			LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
			Buffers = 5
			BufMemType = 1
#

--
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       bleys@tronsbox.xei.com          *
 *                                                              *

jsmoller@jsmami.UUCP (Jesper Steen Moller) (04/29/91)

In article <21000@cbmvax.commodore.com> darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) writes:

> In article <1991Apr25.235004.14460@cci632.cci.com> dsg@ccird1.UUCP (David Greenberg) writes:
> >
> >	I have an A2000 with 3 megs of ram (fastram) and I when I try to
> >format my rad with more than 22 cyls. (Low=0 High=21) I get a checksum error!!
> >Anyone have any Idea why????
> >
> >Is there some kind of limit???
> >

> >						Dave
>
>  There is no such limit of 22; which version of ramdrive.device, and which version
> of FORMAT ... also, have you verified that the MEMORY is good?  RAD allocates
> from the highest memory location that it can; the starting address decreases as
> the size increases.

And remember that the HighCyl has to be odd...

--                     __
Jesper Steen Moller   ///  VOICE: +45 31 62 46 45
Maglemosevej 52  __  ///  USENET: cbmehq!cbmdeo!jsmami!jsmoller
DK-2920 Charl    \\\///  FIDONET: 2:231/84.45
Denmark           \XX/

dsg@cci632.cci.com (David Greenberg) (04/30/91)

	Thre ram checks out with the Supra Test program...and I've never
had a problem with it at all. I am using the ramdrive.device from the
1.3 diskette (don't know the version, but the file is dated 13-aug-88
and format is also dated the same day....I have never had any trouble
with format or anything!!!!

						Dave