[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] X windows on a 500? Am I reaching?

mld@unhd.unh.edu (Michael L Dupuis) (04/20/91)

This is probably a real stretch, but is there any reasonable way to get some
version of X windows up and running on a 500?  I know X is a complicated thing
but I can dream can't I?  I'd really like to have pc access to it instead of
going to the graphics cluster we have here.  The student to graphic station
ratio is terrible.  We have all that is needed on the university Unix side.  Is
there a terminal program that will give access to the X environment?

Thanks in advance.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/24/91)

In article mld@unhd.unh.edu (Michael L Dupuis) writes:
>This is probably a real stretch, but is there any reasonable way to get some
>version of X windows up and running on a 500?
>Is there a terminal program that will give access to the X environment?

Yes you can get X11 for your A500. Here are the two typical scenarios:

1) A500 1M mem, serial (using DECnet DDCMP) to machines that support
   the DECnet protocol. (We have slip in beta testing but requires you
   to already be under our AS225 support program)

2) A500 with 20m disk and 3megs of ram = Complete local development
   system. With X11R4 Athena widgets, toolkits, includes files, etc.
   No network required since with Lattice 5.10a  you have a complete
   development environment for X11. You get SANA local domain
   connections. B/W and Color server, OpenLook, TWM plus other clients.

Email back for more details if interested. Remember to include
postal address and we'll send an information pack.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) (04/29/91)

Sounds like music in my ears..
Is it available on ftp ?
from X.h:
/***********************************************************
Copyright 1987 by Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, Massachusetts,
and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

                        All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
supporting documentation, and that the names of Digital or MIT not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
software without specific, written prior permission.

DIGITAL DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL
DIGITAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR
ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
SOFTWARE.

******************************************************************/

=> in other words : you can't sell it.

so if it isn't available on ftp, are you going to make it available ?

TP

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.111550.5921@mack.uit.no> terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>Sounds like music in my ears..
>Is it available on ftp ?
>from X.h:
[...DEC/MIT copyright notice deleted...]

>=> in other words : you can't sell it.
>
>so if it isn't available on ftp, are you going to make it available ?
>
>TP

I was under the impression that the notice gave explicit permission to
distribute without paying a fee to DEC or MIT, but that selling the
X Window System is not explicitly prohibited, especially if one sells a
machine-specific X server or libraries not provided in the standard
distribution.  Ironically, the Free Software Foundation sells generic X11R4
(shipped in various tape formats.)  No, X is *not* public-domain.

Thus, you'll need to buy Dale Luck's X11 (Commodore's is free for an A3000UX)
anyways since you'll need a AmigaDOS and Amiga-specific X server and
X libraries.  Since the standard X distribution is strongly geared towards
UNIX, I seriously doubt you you can even compile the client parts of the
standard distribution on an non-UNIX Amiga.

But should you feel rather adventurous and have several hundred free hours
on your hands, the latest archives (all 40+ megs of them?) are free via
anonymous FTP from various sites.  Quoted from the comp.windows.x FAQ:

----Begin Quote

        X11R4 is ftp-able from export.lcs.mit.edu; these sites are preferable,
though, and are more direct:

                        Machine                  Internet      FTP
    Location            Name                     Address       Directory
    --------            -------                  --------      -------------
(1) West USA            gatekeeper.dec.com       16.1.0.2      pub/X11/R4
    Central USA         mordred.cs.purdue.edu    128.10.2.2    pub/X11/R4
(2) Central USA         giza.cis.ohio-state.edu  128.146.8.61  pub/X.V11R4
    Southeast USA       uunet.uu.net             192.48.96.2   X/R4
(3) Northeast USA       crl.dec.com              192.58.206.2  pub/X11/R4
(4) UK Janet            src.doc.ic.ac.uk         129.31.81.36  X.V11R4
    UK niftp            uk.ac.ic.doc.src                       <XV11R4>
(5) Australia           munnari.oz.au            128.250.1.21  X.V11/R4

The giza.cis.ohio-state.edu site, in particular, is known to have much of the
contrib stuff that can be found on export.

The release is available to DEC Easynet sites as CRL::"/pub/X11/R4".

Sites in Australia may contact this address: ftp.Adelaide.EDU.AU
[129.127.40.3] and check the directory pub/X/R4. The machine shadows export
and archives comp.sources.x. (Mark Prior, mrp@ucs.adelaide.edu.au, 5/90)

Note: a much more complete list is distributed regularly by Dan Heller
(argv@sun.com) as part of the introductory postings to comp.sources.x.

A set of X11R4 binaries built by Tom Roell (roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
for the 386/ix will available from export.lcs.mit.edu in /contrib and in
/pub/i386/X11R4 from 131.159.8.35 in Europe. Stephen Hite
(shite@sinkhole.unf.edu) can also distribute to folks without ftp facilities
via disks sent SASE; contact him for USmail and shipping details. [12/90]
In addition, the binaries are available via uucp from szebra
[1-408-739-1520, TB+ (PEP); ogin:nuucp sword:nuucp] in /usr2/xbbs/bbs/x.
In addition, the source is on zok in /usrX/i386.R4server/. [2/91]

A set of HP 9000/800 binaries is available on hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com (15.255.72.15)
as ~ftp/pub/MitX11R4/libs.x800.Z. [2/91]

A set of [usable but admittedly flawed] X11R4 binaries built by Mr. Mouse
(mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu) for the original NeXT is available from
132.206.1.1, in X/XNeXT/distribution.Z. [12/90]

A set of binaries by John Coolidge (coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu) for the Mac running
A/UX 2.0 is available from wuarchive.wustl.edu in the file
(/archive/systems/aux/X11R4/Xupdate2.tar.Z). Also in X11R4/diffs is a set of
patches for making X11R4 with shared libraries with mkshlib.

----End Quote

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.111550.5921@mack.uit.no> terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>Sounds like music in my ears..

The music just stopped.

>from X.h:
>Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,

>=> in other words : you can't sell it.

Your conclusion does not follow.  MIT/DEC seem to be granting a limited
right to use etc. X.h (and I guess much/all of the X distribution) for
no charge.  That does not preclude someone from selling it, under
different conditions (eg. they acquire a different (eg. commercial)
license from MIT/DEC).  The vendor is charging you for his efforts
in porting to the Amiga, technical support, etc.

>so if it isn't available on ftp, are you going to make it available ?

X11 from GfxBase is a commercial product.  It had better not be available
on ftp from anywhere.

>TP

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com