[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Chem Eng/Mathematical/Scientific Software

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/29/91)

>In article <7464@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>
> Can anyone suggest to me a suitable scientific/engineering package.
>I need something capable of plotting linear/logarithmic graphs from
>both equations and directly inputted numerical values, solvation of
>simultaneous equations up to about 50x50, Partial and Linear
>differential equations, etc.

Maple sounds like it would do the job; check sci.math.symbolic for more
details on where to get Maple. I have a friend who bought it for his
Macintosh IIx, and has been *very* happy with it.

[...]

>  And, lastly, does there exist a program that will enable me to
>print with decent quality on my printer? I  have a 24pin Fujitsu
>DL-1100 and I am disappointed with the results I get from horrible
>bitmap fonts like in ProWrite. Any way to improve this?

I use PasTeX, a PD port of TeX to the Amiga. There is a commercial version
called AmigaTeX that comes with excellent support, and may be better if
you are not familiar with TeX. TeX is a text processor that is especially
handy with scientific or engineering documents. I believe Maple can output
equations in TeX format, although I am not positive. TeX output has been
uniformly pleasing to my eye on everything from a 9-wire printer to
an Apple LaserWriter IIntx.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) (04/29/91)

 Can anyone suggest to me a suitable scientific/engineering package.
I need something capable of plotting linear/logarithmic graphs from
both equations and directly inputted numerical values, solvation of
simultaneous equations up to about 50x50, Partial and Linear
differential equations, etc.

  Also, are there any suitable Chemical Engineering packages available?
Stuff for Mass/Energy Transfer and the like would also be desirable.

  And, lastly, does there exist a program that will enable me to
print with decent quality on my printer? I  have a 24pin Fujitsu
DL-1100 and I am disappointed with the results I get from horrible
bitmap fonts like in ProWrite. Any way to improve this?

--------krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ----
+	Alex Krooglik	     |________________
+       Faculty of Chemical Engineering	     |__________
+_______University of Melbourne________________________|

6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard A. Boyd) (04/30/91)

I, too, am interested in Chemical Engineering type
programs for the Amiga (3000).  Send e-mail if you
know of any.

Thanks,
  Richard Boyd

BITNET:  6600dmx@ucsbuxa.bitnet
INTERNET:  6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (04/30/91)

In article <ben.6322@epmooch.UUCP> ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>>In article <7464@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>>  And, lastly, does there exist a program that will enable me to
>>print with decent quality on my printer? I  have a 24pin Fujitsu
>you are not familiar with TeX. TeX is a text processor that is especially
>handy with scientific or engineering documents. I believe Maple can output
>equations in TeX format, although I am not positive. TeX output has been
>uniformly pleasing to my eye on everything from a 9-wire printer to
>an Apple LaserWriter IIntx.

Maple can output equations, etc in TeX form.  I have experimented with some
Mathematica TeXForm[] output pasted into AmigaTeX and can not wait to get
MapleV running on my Amiga.

If you need information on Maple, try contacting Waterloo Software at
wmsi@daisy.waterloo.edu

Jerry J. Trantow          | I swear by my life and my love of it,
8967 N. Pelham Parkway    | that I will never live for the sake of another man,
Milwaukee, Wi 53217-1954  | nor ask another man to live for mine.
(414) 228-4689            |                          Ayn Rand

rda951t@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (d.k. woodman) (05/02/91)

In article <7464@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>Stuff for Mass/Energy Transfer and the like would also be desirable.
>
>  And, lastly, does there exist a program that will enable me to
>print with decent quality on my printer? I  have a 24pin Fujitsu
>DL-1100 and I am disappointed with the results I get from horrible
>bitmap fonts like in ProWrite. Any way to improve this?

I think ProWrite V3.0 allows the use of Compugraphic type fonts
or failing that PageStream V2.0 (or V2.1) gives the best dot
matrix printouts I've seen.

daz