[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AREXX and ADPro

gingrich@eng.umd.edu (Chester Gingrich) (04/26/91)

Hi, I am having some problems with handling ADPro using AREXX.

The manual says that when there is an error the AREXX variable
RC will be set to 10 and the variable ADPRO_RESULT will contain
some information about the error.  If RC is 0 then ADPRO_RESULT
will contain som eother useful information.

My problem is that no matter what when I do this:

say ADPRO_RESULT

in my AREXX script all I get is the string:

ADPRO_RESULT

no useful information at all!  Other variables print out fine
with the 'say' command.  What's up?  Is the documentation wrong?
Has anybody else used AREXX to control ADPro?  I am anxious to
see some more AREXX scripts.

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr26.131700.17539@eng.umd.edu> gingrich@eng.umd.edu (Chester Gingrich) writes:
>The manual says that when there is an error the AREXX variable
>RC will be set to 10 and the variable ADPRO_RESULT will contain
>some information about the error.  If RC is 0 then ADPRO_RESULT
>will contain som eother useful information.

Well, the manual is partially correct. As it turns out, ADPRO_RESULT will
rarely, but sometimes, contain some more information in the form of a
descriptive string.

For most commands, the type of error which can occur is fairly limited, while
a complete list of those errors could be large. Those descriptive text
strings would have taken up a lot of space (and memory) for little added
value.

If you're having a particular error which is giving you problems, give us
a call. We're quite supportive of our products' users.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams