[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] gadtools for 1.3

pmiller@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Paul Miller) (04/30/91)

While some of you are discussing compatibility for 1.3/2.0, it may be prudent
for CBM to put out a gadtools.library on disk. This need not be 100% 2.0
gadtools.library compatible, as long as all of the relevant gadtools function
calls are the same. This way, the code need only do minimal checking for
2.0 availability. As it is, it's silly to have two sets of interface-building
calls in your program, but at this point it's a necessary evil, because
1.3-compatibility is currently a must.

I am currently working on a module of functions which support 2.0 and 1.3. If
2.0 is present, gadtools calls are used, otherwise, gadtools-like constructs
are built from standard 1.3 gadgets and returned to you in a fashion
equivalent to 2.0 gadtools. For this unit, you use ONE call which does the
work for you - ie. CreateButton() makes a 3D button, and CreateListView()
makes a full gadtool ListView Gadget, including slider and arrows - this will
function exactly the same under 2.0 and 1.3 implementations.

I have already created a module which does this for 2.0 NewMenus. It consists
of a set of 2.0-compatible calls which build a 1.3 menu strip from 2.0
NewMenu structures, just like under 2.0. I should be releasing this soon, if
there is interest.
* Paul Miller                       | DISCLAIMER IS BETTER THAN DATCLAIMER *
* VIDEOWORKS Computer Applications  | ------------------------------------ *
* Certified AMIGA Developer         |  My opinions are mine own, and not   *
* --------------------------------- | those of those who are not me (um?)  *
* INTERNET: pmiller@vttcf.cc.vt.edu |     - Have a JOLT and a smile! -     *
* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ *
*    Origin: MILLIWAYS, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe! (v42)   *

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (05/02/91)

In article <24135@know.pws.bull.com>, Paul Miller writes:

> I am currently working on a module of functions which support 2.0 and 1.3.
> [...]

Yes we all need that and more. It would be silly to have an application
programmed with the 2.0 facilities, which could not be run on a CDTV.

> [...] structures, just like under 2.0. I should be releasing this soon, if
> there is interest.

Do not release it as freeware/shareware! If you do, many developers
will earn money with it, because EVERYBODY needs compatibility with
1.3 and 2.0. I think it would be better for you if you could sell it
to a company.
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/