[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] setting stack size in source code

kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) (04/30/91)

I sent a letter to Sas asking how to set the stack size in the source code.
Their reply was to include the line

	long _stack = n;

where n is the stacksize in bytes. The source code must then be either linked
with cres.o or cback.o. I would suggest cres.o since I understood that cback.o
required some other variables to be initialized , specifically what to use for
stdio.

	I had also asked them about the possibility of combining cback.o and
cres.o. They replied that they were not considering this option because there
was no concievable need for it, and the concepts were mutually exclusive. My
thinking is:
	say I want to write a program that takes a mounted device name for an
	arguement, and opens a window which is just a title bar that displays
	the free space for that device.

	It seems to me that I would want this program to be run in the
background and hence, I would need to use cback.o. On the other hand I would
like to run this program for several devices, so it is a prime candidate for
cres.o. I realize that there are other ways around this, possibly even better,
but the point is that this is a valid requirement.
	Does anyone have any comments?
	Ken

jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.001538.4655@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>	It seems to me that I would want this program to be run in the
>background and hence, I would need to use cback.o. On the other hand I would
>like to run this program for several devices, so it is a prime candidate for
>cres.o. I realize that there are other ways around this, possibly even better,
>but the point is that this is a valid requirement.
>	Does anyone have any comments?

  I don't see the need for it, but if you feel you need it, it
should not take much effort to come up with something like that.
The source to both cres and cback are on the disk.

--

 |_o_o|\\
 |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
 | .  | ||  Software
 | o  | ||   Distillery
 |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
 ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934