[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] zkick - help!

u895762@BRUNY.CC.UTAS.EDU.AU (Pavel Evgenjevich Sabourenkov) (05/03/91)

 Has anybofy been successful in recompiling the zkick program? for some reason the auther fixed the memory at 2M line, but I have got 8M line with 1.5
megs on it. I changed source to use the memory at 8M, but could not recompile
or link it. Anybody has ever suceded in this?

                            -Paul S.

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (05/03/91)

In article <9105030107.AA05153@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au> u895762@BRUNY.CC.UTAS.EDU.AU (Pavel Evgenjevich Sabourenkov) writes:

> Has anybofy been successful in recompiling the zkick program? for some reason the auther fixed the memory at 2M line, but I have got 8M line with 1.5
>megs on it. I changed source to use the memory at 8M, but could not recompile
>or link it. Anybody has ever suceded in this?

I have compiled ZKick several times due to changes to meet a slightly different
systems requirements.  It does need to be compiled using the 'large data
model' since you are working with 512K+ of data space though.  I believe it
requires the 'large code model' also (I know it needs at least one of
these!?).

The address $200000 is specific for a reason.  The ROM is hardcoded to a
particular address space.  The developers version happens to be at $200000
and the actual ROM will be addressed at $F80000.

Changing the address to which ZKick is loading kickstart will only result
in a terrible <<<CRASH>>>.  Unless you have a modified ROM image file that
is addressed to $800000, you are wasting your time.  Finding all of the
absolute addressing and changing it inside 512K of ROM code is a royal pain!

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
"I could be chasing an un-tamed onathoid without cause" - Data