[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] _AbsExecBase

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/02/91)

> Of course, when I replace _AbsExecBase with $0004, everything works
> fine.

I could be wrong, but I thought AbsExecBase was always just an EQU in
exec.i or somesuch.

> Has _AbsExecBase been completely phased out as unnecessary, or are the
> libraries I'm working with incomplete in this matter?

Generally _AbsExecBase should only get referenced once.  You should
move its contents into _SysBase which is the normal name for the
ExecBase.  Not only does this remove a level of indirection, but
speeds things up since ExecBase can now end up in FAST RAM with 2.0.

> Unless it's something mind-shattering, reply by email, please.

Our mailer is transiently hosed, so here's the post.

Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) (05/03/91)

I recently decided to make a real effort at programming Assembly on
the Amiga (years and years ago, I played with it a bit on the Mac).
Towards this end, I bought the book Amiga Assembly Language
Programming, by Jake Commander.

I've been playing with some of the source code listed in it (using
A68k), and I've run into one puzzling thing:

When I try to link an object file containing a reference to
_AbsExecBase, the linker is unable to find the symbol in amiga.lib
(from PDC) or amigas.lib (from DICE).

--
Todd L. Masco		| "Free speech is the right to shout 'theatre'
CMU Physics, Senior	|   in a crowded fire."

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (05/04/91)

In article <12884@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) writes:
>I recently decided to make a real effort at programming Assembly on
>the Amiga (years and years ago, I played with it a bit on the Mac).
>Towards this end, I bought the book Amiga Assembly Language
>Programming, by Jake Commander.
>
>I've been playing with some of the source code listed in it (using
>A68k), and I've run into one puzzling thing:
>
>When I try to link an object file containing a reference to
>_AbsExecBase, the linker is unable to find the symbol in amiga.lib
>(from PDC) or amigas.lib (from DICE).
>
>Of course, when I replace _AbsExecBase with $0004, everything works
>fine.

    _AbsExecBase exists in both the 1.3 amiga.lib and the 2.0 amiga.lib, at
    least in the DICE and commodore versions (I just dumped them to check).
    There must be something else going on!

>Has _AbsExecBase been completely phased out as unnecessary, or are the
>libraries I'm working with incomplete in this matter?
>
>Unless it's something mind-shattering, reply by email, please.
>--
>Todd L. Masco		| "Free speech is the right to shout 'theatre'
>CMU Physics, Senior	|   in a crowded fire."

				    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon