[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Need help with FastDiskII problem

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (04/17/91)

	I am having a problem running the FastDiskII program that is on one
of the Fred Fish disks.  After I use it to create a new disk, I try to open
the disk icon.  As the last icon image appears, the system GURU's!  If I use
CLI and try to delete a file from the disk, the same thing happens.  I don't
know enough about the inner workings of the O.S. to go in myself and fix the
bug.  The author is in Germany or somewhere overseas so I thought I might
appeal to the net and see if someone has noticed this problem and fixed it or
might be willing to see what the trouble might be.  If I don't get this fixed,
I might go out and purchase B.A.D. to help out my floppy access.  Anyone into
seeing what might be wrong with FastDiskII?

Earle
             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake

stolp@dost.informatik.uni-kl.de (Torsten Stolpmann (PA Buhler)) (04/17/91)

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:

>	I am having a problem running the FastDiskII program that is on one
>of the Fred Fish disks.  After I use it to create a new disk, I try to open
>the disk icon.  As the last icon image appears, the system GURU's!  If I use
>CLI and try to delete a file from the disk, the same thing happens.  I don't
>know enough about the inner workings of the O.S. to go in myself and fix the
>bug.  The author is in Germany or somewhere overseas so I thought I might
>appeal to the net and see if someone has noticed this problem and fixed it or
>might be willing to see what the trouble might be.  If I don't get this fixed,
>I might go out and purchase B.A.D. to help out my floppy access.  Anyone into
>seeing what might be wrong with FastDiskII?

Here are some notes on FastDisk by the original author:

FastDiskII (written by Oliver Wagner) was based on FastDisk1.5 (written by me)
and contains some serious bugs, which were not present in Version 1.5.

PLEASE DO NOT USE FASTDISKII, since it isn't of much use.

Oliver sent FastDiskII to Fred Fish without giving me a chance to authorize or
check it, thus spoiling my reputation as a programmer.

Since Version 1.5 (which was quite stable, the only reported bugs were the
missing ability to process empty files and some strange behaviour with incon-
sistent disks), there was another Release Version (1.8) which has lots of im-
provements (ability to use all kind of devices ie. FF0:, RAD:, Harddisks etc.,
FastMem-Support, better performance and more) which I'm willing to upload to
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov or post to comp.binaries.amiga, if such interest
exists.

Version 1.9 is currently in the Beta-testing stage and will be released to the
public in Summer 1991. This Version supports the Fast-Filing System and con-
tains an Intuition-interface (lots of other improvements too).

Future releases past 1.9 will be able to operate on a single device.
I'm still thinking over an efficient way to do this (Better than B.A.D. :(
or QB-Tools :< ).

Hope this helps,
			Torsten "Thor" Stolpmann

BTW: Does anybody know exactly, how Extended-Bitmapblocks are implemented?
     I know that there is a Pointer in the RootBlock to a chained list of
     Bitmap-extensionblocks, but I have no information about the contents of
     these blocks, and no sufficiently large Harddisk to find out myself.

Torsten "Thor" Stolpmann  stolp@informatik.uni-kl.de (sorry, can't send Email)

"The world is my oyster"  F.g.t.H.

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (04/18/91)

In article <stolp.671892003@dost>, stolp@dost.informatik.uni-kl.de (Torsten Stolpmann (PA Buhler)) writes:

> FastDiskII (written by Oliver Wagner) was based on FastDisk1.5 (written by me)
> and contains some serious bugs, which were not present in Version 1.5.
>
> PLEASE DO NOT USE FASTDISKII, since it isn't of much use.
>
> Oliver sent FastDiskII to Fred Fish without giving me a chance to authorize or
> check it, thus spoiling my reputation as a programmer.
>
> Since Version 1.5 (which was quite stable, the only reported bugs were the
> missing ability to process empty files and some strange behaviour with incon-
> sistent disks), there was another Release Version (1.8) which has lots of im-
> provements (ability to use all kind of devices ie. FF0:, RAD:, Harddisks etc.,
> FastMem-Support, better performance and more) which I'm willing to upload to
> abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov or post to comp.binaries.amiga, if such interest
> exists.

	Please upload to abcfd20!

Earle
             ____ ____    ___

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.134655.1565@dayton.saic.com> ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>Anyone into
>seeing what might be wrong with FastDiskII?

According to the autor of this version (Oliver Wagner), FastDiskII is
*absolutely hopelessly* messed up due to bugs in the global optimizer
of Lattice C. He compiled it with size optimization for release, and didn't
test *this* version thoroughly, though he did with the previous ones (which
weren't compiled with size optimizing and thus didn't show the bug).

There is another successor to FastDisk 1.5 (upon which FastDiskII is based),
called FastDisk 1.8. It is from the original author and doesn't contain
such a nice intuition interface, but is bugfree and optimizes somewhat
better. IMHO even better than B.A.D.

Don't know at all if this ever appeared on the fish disks, though.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

In article <stolp.671892003@dost> stolp@dost.informatik.uni-kl.de (Torsten Stolpmann (PA Buhler)) writes:

>BTW: Does anybody know exactly, how Extended-Bitmapblocks are implemented?
>     I know that there is a Pointer in the RootBlock to a chained list of
>     Bitmap-extensionblocks, but I have no information about the contents of
>     these blocks, and no sufficiently large Harddisk to find out myself.

Ask Ralph Babel or look into his "Guru-Buch" (german).

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (04/20/91)

>There is another successor to FastDisk 1.5 (upon which FastDiskII is based),
>called FastDisk 1.8. It is from the original author and doesn't contain
>such a nice intuition interface, but is bugfree and optimizes somewhat
>better. IMHO even better than B.A.D.
>
>Don't know at all if this ever appeared on the fish disks, though.

--
Do any of these programs work on FastFileSystem formatted devices?  I'm
interested in optimizing my hard drive partitions.

Thanks,

-- Frank McPherson		 INTERNET : emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu	--
--				AmigaUUCP : uunet!vtserf!morpheus!frank --

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (04/21/91)

In article <frank.4294@morpheus.UUCP> frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) writes:
>Do any of these programs work on FastFileSystem formatted devices?  I'm
>interested in optimizing my hard drive partitions.

The current version (1.8) of FastDisk does not.
However, there is a very good commercial package called THI-Tools, which
contains a great optimizer for FFS-Devices called SpeedDisk. Unfortunately
you have to buy the whole package to get it. (Though you also get a backup
program, a benchmark program, a file manager and some other goodies if
you do so)

If you don't want to spend your bucks on a commercial program like this one,
there is still a cheap way to do it: Simply backup the partition you want
to optimize, format it, and restore all the files again. Your partition is
well optimized again after that.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (04/23/91)

In article <holgerl.1437@amiux.UUCP> holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) writes:
>>Do any of these programs work on FastFileSystem formatted devices?  I'm
>>interested in optimizing my hard drive partitions.
>
>The current version (1.8) of FastDisk does not.
>However, there is a very good commercial package called THI-Tools, which
>contains a great optimizer for FFS-Devices called SpeedDisk. Unfortunately
>you have to buy the whole package to get it. (Though you also get a backup
>program, a benchmark program, a file manager and some other goodies if
>you do so)
>
>If you don't want to spend your bucks on a commercial program like this one,
>there is still a cheap way to do it: Simply backup the partition you want
>to optimize, format it, and restore all the files again. Your partition is
>well optimized again after that.

--
Thanks for the information.  I'll stick to the last method for now, since
I've got to spend my software money on things I can't do any other way.

It is, however, a pain, and I'm definitely looking forward to a PD or
Shareware utility which would do that.	If I could register a shareware
product for around $30 or $40, I'd do it.  I just don't want to have to
pay sixty or seventy dollars for a package I won't use much, such as the
THI-Tools you mentioned above.

helmutn@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Neumann) (04/24/91)

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) writes:

>However, there is a very good commercial package called THI-Tools, which
>contains a great optimizer for FFS-Devices called SpeedDisk. Unfortunately
>you have to buy the whole package to get it. (Though you also get a backup
>program, a benchmark program, a file manager and some other goodies if
>you do so)

Hello,
better TEST programs before you tell someone else to use ist. My expiriences
with THI-Tools are quite BAD (after optimization --> format HD because structure
was scrambled). Sometimes it even doesn't reach the end of optimization.

The program i would use instead ist Quarterback-Tools. Why ?
- It checks the complete Disk BEFORE optimization
- It doesn't consume as much memory as BAD or THI-SPEED, with the
  both last mentioned you can not optimize a HD with 200 MB with only
  4 MB Ram, QBTools CAN.
- It contains a reliable checker for integrity of files
- It really repairs HDs with the "volume not validated" error (you know what
  i mean) by just deleting the Error-Files and they are usable again without
  any Garbage on it (e.g. Diskdoctor undeletes ALL the files that have ever
  been on the HD )
- It IS RELIABLE. I have never reformat the HD or use my backup since i have
  this Tool.

The big disadvantage :  the price, but reliability counts i think.

Bye, Helmut.

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf'Rhialto'Seibert) (05/01/91)

In article <holgerl.1237@amiux.UUCP> holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) writes:
>There is another successor to FastDisk 1.5 (upon which FastDiskII is based),
>called FastDisk 1.8. It is from the original author and doesn't contain
>such a nice intuition interface, but is bugfree and optimizes somewhat
>better. IMHO even better than B.A.D.

The "nice Intuition interface" in FastDiskII is programmed *in a very
wrong way*. Go look at the code... in cases of errors the main loop
is re-entered recursively, all #defines were removed and hard constants
substituted everywhere, just completely terrible. Gives Oliver Wagner
a very bad reputation indeed. Deserved. Almost made me stop playing
"Bally"... (a game that he wrote)

>Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/05/91)

In article <helmutn.672498241@cip-s01> helmutn@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Neumann) writes:

>better TEST programs before you tell someone else to use ist. My expiriences
>with THI-Tools are quite BAD (after optimization --> format HD because structure
>was scrambled). Sometimes it even doesn't reach the end of optimization.

I don't know which releases of both the OS and the FastFileSystem you used
when getting these results. I wouldn't recommend a program to others if I
hadn't tested it. And it worked OK for me ever since I use it, under both
1.3 and various releases of 2.xx

You are correct, though, in making the point that it uses lots of RAM
while optimizing.

>The program i would use instead ist Quarterback-Tools. Why ?
>- It IS RELIABLE. I have never reformat the HD or use my backup since i have
>  this Tool.

QB Tools and *RELIABLE* ?? I heard of very different experiences by others,
including totally mangled directory structures after using it, but yet I
don't own it and thus can't say more about it.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser