[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Source code version control system

pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) (01/10/91)

    I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
commercial product would be acceptable too.

    Thanks,
    Phil Cooper

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan09.184053.5567@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:

>    I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
>track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
>thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
>commercial product would be acceptable too.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Phil Cooper

RCS for the Amiga is already available.  I use it constantly.
Guess what.  It's PD as well.

Available at your better BBSes everywhere and at uunet in particular.

				-- kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

	``Be excellent to each other.''
		- Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

In article <1991Jan09.184053.5567@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:

>    I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
>track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
>thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
>commercial product would be acceptable too.

	*poof*, it's in there: RCS has been ported to the Amiga (by a Commodore
engineer and one other person: we use it for internal OS source control).
It's on one of the Fish PD disks.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

walt@bcarh133.uucp (Walt Sullivan) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan09.184053.5567@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:

>        I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
>    track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
>    thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
>    commercial product would be acceptable too.
>
>        Thanks,
>        Phil Cooper

Fred Fish disk 282 has RCS v1.2, written by Walter Tichy, and ported to the
Amiga by Raymond Brand and Rick Schaffer. I use it at home, and I use RCS
on my Unix box at work. There seem to be no significant differences.
--
Walt Sullivan
BITNET: walt@BNR.CA (work)

rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com (Raymond S. Brand) (01/10/91)

In article <WALT.91Jan10091024@bcarh133.uucp>, walt@bcarh133.uucp (Walt Sullivan) writes:
> Fred Fish disk 282 has RCS v1.2, written by Walter Tichy, and ported to the
                             ^^^^
This should be v4.x (x changes depending on the source module).

> Amiga by Raymond Brand and Rick Schaffer. I use it at home, and I use RCS
> on my Unix box at work. There seem to be no significant differences.
> --
> Walt Sullivan

						rsbx

  Raymond S. Brand			rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com
  Commodore-Amiga Engineering		...!uunet!cbmvax!rsbx
  1200 Wilson Drive			(215)-431-9100
  West Chester PA 19380			"Looking"

mykes@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan09.184053.5567@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:

>    I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
>track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
>thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
>commercial product would be acceptable too.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Phil Cooper

There IS a port of RCS to the Amiga.  I think it was done by someone at CBM.
You may be able to find it on a Fish disk or some FTP site.

GOod luck

akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andy Klingler) (01/12/91)

In article <17305@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Kevin Klop writes:

> RCS for the Amiga is already available.  I use it constantly.
> Guess what.  It's PD as well.

BTW: has anyone `rcsfreeze` for the Amiga? In my version of RCS it is
still on the ToDo-List.

Thanks
	Andy
---
Andreas Klingler
akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
         If you have enough patience, everything can be simulated
                               Marvin Minsky

pcooper@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) (05/05/91)

In article <17305@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
>In article <1991Jan09.184053.5567@eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@eecs.wsu.edu (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:
>>
>>    I would like to know if there is a product available for the amiga to
>>track different versions of the source code for a development project.  I am
>>thinking of something similar to RCS in Unix.  I would prefer PD, but a
>>commercial product would be acceptable too.
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>    Phil Cooper
>

>RCS for the Amiga is already available.  I use it constantly.
>Guess what.  It's PD as well.
>
>Available at your better BBSes everywhere and at uunet in particular.
>
>				-- kevin --

Kevin,

  It seems that my news server is broken once again.  I posed the question
regarding RCS several months ago, and it has been sent out again for some
unknown reason.  Anyway, I am now using RCS and am very happy with it.  Oh,
while I'm responding anyway, is there a way to prevent RCS from protecting
the ,v files from deletion?

   Phil

--
*   Real Life:   Phillip R. Cooper                                   *