[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Was: gadtools for 1.3, Now getting silly

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/04/91)

In article <1913ae41.ARN0d77@swinjm.UUCP>, forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) writes:
> In article <24135@know.pws.bull.com>, Paul Miller writes:
>
>> I am currently working on a module of functions which support 2.0 and 1.3.
>> [...]
>
> Yes we all need that and more. It would be silly to have an application
> programmed with the 2.0 facilities, which could not be run on a CDTV.
>
>> [...] structures, just like under 2.0. I should be releasing this soon, if
>> there is interest.
>
> Do not release it as freeware/shareware! If you do, many developers
> will earn money with it, because EVERYBODY needs compatibility with
> 1.3 and 2.0. I think it would be better for you if you could sell it
> to a company.
> --

On the contrary,if you wish others to provide you with the sort of freely
available software we've come to love on the Amiga, make our lives easier
by providing your code. Multiplot would not exist without the assistance
of others similar in magnitude to that you are offering.

On a tangential note, could an agglomeration of PD writers get together
and take out patents on basic coding techniques to prevent perversion
of the industry by loonies who try to patent X-hairs etc. The association
could be self funding by collecting royalties from only commercial users
of the methods. A few I've dreamed up are:

Patent App No		Technique

AB51LL1			Use of the keyword main() in C code
AB51ll2			Use of logical branches including if, while, do, etc
AB51LL3			Use of dynamic memory allocation
AB51LL4			Command line driven user interfaces

There must be lots more.

Regards Alan

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May4.133143.24584@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

> [...]
> Regards Alan

Please mister "baxter_a", could you tell us what is your name ?
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/