[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Printer Problems.

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) (05/02/91)

   Question 1:  Where is a good FTP site for learning how to use TeX? I
                just got it working last night and I am dying to learn
	        how the mongrel of a thing works.

   Question 2: Why does AmigaDOS 1.3 give me the message, after I type
	       'copy * prt:' that 'The object is in use' when in fact
	       nothing is hogging it. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG!
	       I can use par: normally, but prt:, no go Joe. The
	       printer I am using is a Fujitsu DL1100 with a Fujitsu
	       DL1100 driver in prefs.

    Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM? I am
		sick of waiting for it when most American's already
		have it.

--------krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ----
+	Alex Krooglik	     |________________
+       Faculty of Chemical Engineering	     |__________
+_______University of Melbourne________________________|

angst@cs.uq.oz.au (Andrew Moran) (05/02/91)

In <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:

>   Question 1: Where is a good FTP site for learning how to use TeX? I
>               just got it working last night and I am dying to learn
>	        how the mongrel of a thing works.

I think you'll may have to buy a book, Alex.  TeX is not simple, and I don't
know of any FTP site that has TeX manuals lying about in machine readable form.
Isn't there anything included in the distribution?

>   Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM? I am
>		sick of waiting for it when most American's already
>		have it.

Not so.  No one anywhere has KS 2.0 on ROM; it has been released as software
only.  I think the latest version to get to Australia is 2.02, whereas in
America it's 2.04.  It won't be in ROM until they are absolutely sure that it's
bug-free, stable, backward-compatible and does all the nice things they want it
to.  The latest is "RRSN".

>+	Alex Krooglik	     |________________

Angst

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (05/02/91)

>In article <1126@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> angst@cs.uq.oz.au (Andrew Moran) writes:
>In <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>

>>   Question 1: Where is a good FTP site for learning how to use TeX? I
>>               just got it working last night and I am dying to learn
>>	        how the mongrel of a thing works.
>
>I think you'll may have to buy a book, Alex.  TeX is not simple, and I don't
>know of any FTP site that has TeX manuals lying about in machine readable form.
>Isn't there anything included in the distribution?

Somewhere there is a machine-readable file called 'A Gentle Introduction
to TeX,' by Micheal Doob. It's a good starting point. But you *will*
have to buy the TeX book and the LaTeX book. They are essential, and are
not available for ftp.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

jseymour@medar.com (James Seymour) (05/02/91)

In article <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
:
:    Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM? I am
:		sick of waiting for it when most American's already
:		have it.

We do???  Did I sleep through something *again* and miss it!?  :-)

:--------krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ----
:+	Alex Krooglik	     |________________
:+       Faculty of Chemical Engineering	     |__________
:+_______University of Melbourne________________________|

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (05/02/91)

In article <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>    Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM? I am
>		sick of waiting for it when most American's already
>		have it.

You are mistaken.  The only people who have a legitimate copy of
Kickstart 2.0 are either:

	- A3000 owners
	- Developers registered with Commodore.

You can figure out as well as I can what the rest of the people who have
2.0 are.

>+	Alex Krooglik	     |________________

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (05/03/91)

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:

>    Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM? I am
>		sick of waiting for it when most American's already
>		have it.

KS 2.0 has *NOT* been released in ROM, in America or anywhere else.  The
only version of 2.0 that any non-developer can get is the one bundled
with the A3000.

So be patient, it will be release here and everywhere when C= finally
get all the bugs out.  It is better to work with a stable 1.3 than a
buggy 2.0.

Phil.

--
o|      ///   Phil Kernick              EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au    |o
 |     ///    Departmental Engineer     Phone:  +618 228 5914                |

andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) (05/05/91)

In article <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>   Question 2: Why does AmigaDOS 1.3 give me the message, after I type
>	       'copy * prt:' that 'The object is in use' when in fact
>	       nothing is hogging it. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG!
>	       I can use par: normally, but prt:, no go Joe. ....

If you can use par: but not prt: then it seems likely that your
printer is assigned to the serial port and something is using it.

>    Question 3: When is C= Australia going to release KS 2.0 on ROM?

I don't believe *anyone* has it in ROM yet as they want to get out
most of the bugs first.
--
Andrew Phillips (andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au) Phone +61 (Aust) 2 (Sydney) 289 8712

jc@crosfield.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (05/08/91)

>In article <7484@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alex Krooglik) writes:
>>   Question 2: Why does AmigaDOS 1.3 give me the message, after I type
>>	       'copy * prt:' that 'The object is in use' when in fact
>>	       nothing is hogging it. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG!
>>	       I can use par: normally, but prt:, no go Joe. ....

	I had a similar problem when I tried to use a 1.2 printer driver
under 1.3; They don't mix gracefully. Try copying the appropriate printer
driver from the 1.3 distribution (I think they moved onto the extras disk?)
and see if that fixes the problem. It did for me..

--