[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] What the hell is SDB doing?

mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) (05/08/91)

[]

Ok, so I am stepping thru some code with SDB. I come to something like
fopen(). The harddrive kicks in (flutter, flutter, flutter), indicating
some sort of activity. And it may stay active for SEVERAL MINUTES! Doing
a memset on 100bytes does the same thing along with most library functions.
Using "t" (which supposedly steps "over" the function) doesn't help either.

Many times it's faster to reboot than to wait for the activity to finish.

So, what's going on?

mike

--
"There is no problem to big that can't be solved with high explosives"-Rush

Mike Smithwick - ames!zorch!mike

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.160123.5313@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>[]
>
>Ok, so I am stepping thru some code with SDB. I come to something like
>fopen(). The harddrive kicks in (flutter, flutter, flutter), indicating
>some sort of activity. And it may stay active for SEVERAL MINUTES! Doing
>a memset on 100bytes does the same thing along with most library functions.
>Using "t" (which supposedly steps "over" the function) doesn't help either.

Something is severely wrong with your system if memset and most of the
library functions cause your harddrive to kick in, unless they are
dos library functions.

Using 't' always works fine for me, are you compiling/linking with the
debugger options, and are your source code files unmodified since
your last compile?  One thing that throws me for a spin is when I modify
a source file, then try to use SDB.  I usually catch on when I start
stepping through comments, though :-).

>"There is no problem to big that can't be solved with high explosives"-Rush

Of course, you've already suggested one solution.

>Mike Smithwick - ames!zorch!mike

-- Cary

darren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Darren Greenwald) (05/09/91)

In article <52607@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <1991May8.160123.5313@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> mike@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>>[]
>>
>>Ok, so I am stepping thru some code with SDB. I come to something like
>>fopen(). The harddrive kicks in (flutter, flutter, flutter), indicating
>>some sort of activity. And it may stay active for SEVERAL MINUTES! Doing
>>a memset on 100bytes does the same thing along with most library functions.
>>Using "t" (which supposedly steps "over" the function) doesn't help either.
>
>Something is severely wrong with your system if memset and most of the
>library functions cause your harddrive to kick in, unless they are
>dos library functions.

No, I've noticed the same problem with SDB; it seems to want to single
step through linked lib calls.  It may be fixed in a more recent version;
I noticed it after I upgraded (the original SDB doesn't do this).  It may
be fixed now (I don't remember the revision numbers off hand).

Acts like its looking for source code out there when there isn't any.