[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Lattice C++ -- How is it?

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (05/08/91)

Has anyone had any experience with or heard anything (good/bad) about
the Lattice C++ compiler?

The reason I am asking is that I have been wanting a C++ compiler but I
don't want some bug-ridden, low-featured piece of trash.  The Lattice C++
compiler is in AmigaWorld for $99.00 from Creative Computers and $119.00
from some other place.

These prices sound almost too good to be true.  Are they?? Usually you get
what you pay for; is the Lattice compiler junk?  I would not expect to pay
$99.00 for a C++ compiler.

What can people tell me about this compiler?

Thanks a bunch,
Parker

--
 James Parker   (parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize Oosting) (05/13/91)

In article <1510@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with or heard anything (good/bad) about
>the Lattice C++ compiler?
>
>The reason I am asking is that I have been wanting a C++ compiler but I
>don't want some bug-ridden, low-featured piece of trash.  The Lattice C++
>compiler is in AmigaWorld for $99.00 from Creative Computers and $119.00
>from some other place.
>
>These prices sound almost too good to be true.  Are they?? Usually you get
>what you pay for; is the Lattice compiler junk?  I would not expect to pay
>$99.00 for a C++ compiler.
>
>What can people tell me about this compiler?

I've seen, and tried to work a while with V1.0. The only thing I can say
about it is that it was slow and VERY memory eating. Even for some simple
examples it couldn't compile having 1 Meg. The reason why it is so slow is that
it is a preparser to C. It's an original four (five?) pass compiler in total.

Let's just say I tried it and got back to C for now. I don't know if there's
a new version on the market, though, and if, if it's better.

|   Letteren-    |  Marvin Minsky once defined Artificial Intelligence as: |
|   Faculteit    |   '... the science of making machines do things that    |
| R.U. Groningen |   would require intelligence if done by men'.           |
| The Netherlands|                                                         |
|                |  Does this include adding a device to the Mountlist?    |
| eoo@let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |