[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Sprites on the 3000.

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (05/14/91)

I have been having some problems with sprites on my Amiga 3000.  I had
previously discovered that overscan steals DMA from the sprites and thus
you could not use some of the last sprites.  This I considered to be okay
since overscan was not in my opinion a standard mode of operation.
However, I have recently not been able to get sprite 7 to come up on a
lo-resolution screen..AT ALL!  IE I have no overscan and a lo-res screen
and sprite 7 does not appear.  If I switch to HIRES or even HIRES interlace,
sprite 7 magically comes to the screen.

These are normal every day hardware sprites...
*WHY* don't they work on a LORES, but they *DO* on a HIRES?

I feel very strange about this - earlier I found that you can't open the
topaz font unless you use "topaz.font" as the name instead of "Topaz.font".
Just one piece of code for(;;) {tolower(c)}...  Man...

Sincerely,
  depressed

I don't expect to find a way to get this to work, but if someone has a
suggestion, I would sure like to hear it via mail.  (Can't believe the
system has stolen my sprites!)

ARGHHHHHHHH! :-)

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/14/91)

 Sprite works perfectly on a A3000, I better know that :-)
 Even if you are NOT in 'overscan' check your screen start pos.
 Go to the overscan utilitie and use 'reset to default'...

 My only problem is that I can see sprite 8 and plus :-)

								Stephan.

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/14/91)

In article <16193@helios.TAMU.EDU>, aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) writes:
> I have been having some problems with sprites on my Amiga 3000.  I had
> previously discovered that overscan steals DMA from the sprites and thus
> you could not use some of the last sprites.  This I considered to be okay
> since overscan was not in my opinion a standard mode of operation.
> However, I have recently not been able to get sprite 7 to come up on a
> lo-resolution screen..AT ALL!  IE I have no overscan and a lo-res screen
> and sprite 7 does not appear.  If I switch to HIRES or even HIRES interlace,
> sprite 7 magically comes to the screen.

The sprites posistions for DMA on each scan line are fixed.  The
display DMA begins farther "left" for things like overscan so it chews
into sprite DMA.  The DMA *also* begins farther left depending on how
you've set the screen posistion in Prefs.  If you move the screen too
far left, you begin to chew into sprite DMA even without overscan.  On
1.3 you should keep the 2D gadget for screen position in the right
half of is range, for 2.0, just play with the overscan/standard
positions on the overscan settings.

> These are normal every day hardware sprites...
> *WHY* don't they work on a LORES, but they *DO* on a HIRES?

That I can't answer, unless your under 2.0 and the Lowres settings do
have a bit of overscan.

> I feel very strange about this - earlier I found that you can't open the
> topaz font unless you use "topaz.font" as the name instead of "Topaz.font".
> Just one piece of code for(;;) {tolower(c)}...  Man...

All Exec lists are case sensitive for performance and simplicity.  So
anything that searchs an Exec list with Exec (FindPort(), FindTask(),
OpenLibrary(), Open(Disk)Font(), etc) is case sensitive.  This can be
a biter since some of the newer fonts (Times, etc) have UPdown case,
unlike earlier fonts.

As far as for(;;) {tolower()}, there is also a strlwr() function is
SAS (I think, I have trouble keeping straight all the C compilers I use).

Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu