[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] <exec/... .h>

kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) (05/07/91)

I realize that this was resolved a few weeks ago, but of course it didn't
matter then. I have started playing with some message ports, and the errors
have just started cascading in with the exec includes.
	Rushed help would be appreciated,
Ken

P.S. The whole point of this excersize is to write a new ed (starter for
CygnusEd) that will when called with an arguement (while ced is already loaded)
will just open a ced view for that file, instead of asking to start a new ced
process. If this improvement has been made my anybody, let me know and save me
this hassle! Also let me know if I am doing something stupid with Ced that
this is not the automatic responce.

CygnusEd 2.12
Sas C 5.01a

Remember what I want is the most economical way to
ed file1 ...
when ced is already installed, without explicitly going to the ced screen for
an 'AMIGA-o'

Thanks

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May7.035139.21051@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>P.S. The whole point of this excersize is to write a new ed (starter for
>CygnusEd) that will when called with an arguement (while ced is already loaded)
>will just open a ced view for that file, instead of asking to start a new ced
>process. If this improvement has been made my anybody, let me know and save me
>this hassle! Also let me know if I am doing something stupid with Ced that
>this is not the automatic responce.

Um, I just tried that, and that's exactly what "ed" does.  If you have Ced
already running, then "ed" opens a new view in the existing Ced screen or
window.  Running "ced" a second time gives you a second Ced process.
Are you sure you don't have "ed" aliased to "ced" or something?

     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.035139.21051@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>I realize that this was resolved a few weeks ago, but of course it didn't
>matter then. I have started playing with some message ports, and the errors
>have just started cascading in with the exec includes.
>	Rushed help would be appreciated,
>Ken
>
>P.S. The whole point of this excersize is to write a new ed (starter for
>CygnusEd) that will when called with an arguement (while ced is already loaded)
>will just open a ced view for that file, instead of asking to start a new ced
>process. If this improvement has been made my anybody, let me know and save me
>this hassle! Also let me know if I am doing something stupid with Ced that
>this is not the automatic responce.
>
>CygnusEd 2.12
>Sas C 5.01a
>
>Remember what I want is the most economical way to
>ed file1 ...
>when ced is already installed, without explicitly going to the ced screen for
>an 'AMIGA-o'
>
>Thanks

You should use an ARexx script to do this.  It's as easy as BASIC.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) (05/14/91)

In <21343@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:

>In article <1991May7.035139.21051@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>>P.S. The whole point of this excersize is to write a new ed (starter for
>>CygnusEd) that will when called with an arguement (while ced is already loaded)
>>will just open a ced view for that file, instead of asking to start a new ced
>>process. If this improvement has been made my anybody, let me know and save me
>>this hassle! Also let me know if I am doing something stupid with Ced that
>>this is not the automatic responce.

>Um, I just tried that, and that's exactly what "ed" does.  If you have Ced
>already running, then "ed" opens a new view in the existing Ced screen or
>window.  Running "ced" a second time gives you a second Ced process.
>Are you sure you don't have "ed" aliased to "ced" or something?

>     Peter

When I try
ed file1 file2 ...
when ced is already running, ed puts up a requester saying that a copy
of ced is already running and do I really want to start a new one? When
ed is run without arguements it does what you described.

	Ken

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.165745.1646@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>When I try
>ed file1 file2 ...
>when ced is already running, ed puts up a requester saying that a copy
>of ced is already running and do I really want to start a new one? When
>ed is run without arguements it does what you described.
>
>	Ken

This is getting interesting to me.  Ken, the behavior you mention above is
not correct  -- but sometimes I get the same behavior on my system!

CORRECT BEHAVIOR: Whether or not Ed is given filename parameters
it should activate the currently loaded Ced "instance";
if there is no loaded Ced "instance", ed loads Ced.

If you load an instance of Ced, and then type
% Ced foo
you will get a requestor warning you that a copy of ced is running.

INCORRECT BEHAVIOR: Ed does not see the current "instance" of Ced in memory.
Everytime you invoke Ed, it tries to load a new "instance" of Ced.

As I mentioned above, I get this bogus behavior once in a blue moon.  I have
no idea why it happens.  Does anyone out there have any ideas?   I've
got an A1000, Supra 4x4 + Quantum 80S, Microbotics StarBoardII w/2Megs,
KickStart Eliminator, CedPro v 2.11 (I think -- its been patched with the
files on ab20).  Thanks!

John

--
John Lindwall			lindwall@cs.ucsd.edu
"Oh look at me! I'm all flooby! I'll be a son of a gun!" -- Flaming Carrot

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.165745.1646@ccu.umanitoba.ca> kaarts@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth John Aarts) writes:
>When I try
>ed file1 file2 ...
>when ced is already running, ed puts up a requester saying that a copy
>of ced is already running and do I really want to start a new one? When
>ed is run without arguements it does what you described.

Did you check to see that you haven't aliased "ed" to "ced"?   "Ed" works
just fine.  Go back to your original CED disk and run the "ed" off that.
Be sure of the software you're running.  Also, what version of CygnusEd Pro
do you have. I'd recommend upgrading to the latest (2.12 is what I have).

>	Ken

     Peter