[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] accessing 25 pins p. port

IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET (05/15/91)

I have a technical question for which nobody has given me the answer
yet.    How can I access the 25 pins of the parallel port?
I would like to be able to take control  of the port  and then read the
state of each pin (1 or 0) and change it.  I use Aztec C 3.6.

  BEN STERN,  Haifa Israel.       bitnet      IERBS02 @ TECHNION

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (05/15/91)

In article <91135.001746IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET> IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET writes:
>I have a technical question for which nobody has given me the answer
>yet.    How can I access the 25 pins of the parallel port?
>I would like to be able to take control  of the port  and then read the
>state of each pin (1 or 0) and change it.  I use Aztec C 3.6.

You can't.  Only 11 or so signal pins of the parallel port are
programmable through one of the Amiga's CIA's (Complex Interface Adapters.)
The remaining pins are either hardwired to a non-programmable CIA pin,
ground, +5, or not connected.

You can take control of the parallel port by requesting it through the
operating system.  Open the appropriate CIA resource and allocate only those
CIA control bits and registers that control the parallel port (the CIA also
controls other functions such as the serial port handshaking.)  You can
then program the parallel port as you desire.  The CIA resource details are
given in the version 1.3 (blue cover) Amiga ROM Kernal Manual: Libraries
and Devices, and Amiga ROM Kernal Manual: Autodocs.  Details about
programming the CIA's are in the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (05/17/91)

In article <91135.001746IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET>, IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET writes:

> I have a technical question for which nobody has given me the answer
> yet.    How can I access the 25 pins of the parallel port?
> I would like to be able to take control  of the port  and then read the
> state of each pin (1 or 0) and change it.  I use Aztec C 3.6.

Since you cannot have access to all 25 pins because a lot of them are
the ground, if you really need more than the 11 pins available on the
parallel port and if your application doesn't need to have an external
drive connected, you can use the external drive connector nearly the
same way you use the parallel one.
You have an example how to access the parallel port directly (the legal
way) using the Aztec compiler on the Fish disk #73: "ParOut".
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/