[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] VI on Amiga

mplevine@stroke.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) (05/15/91)

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER "WHERE CAN I GET VI QUESTION"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the source for a new version of VI for UNIX.  I am thinking of
porting it to the Amiga.  As a UNIX user, I would like a complete implementation
for the amiga.  I have Stevie 3.7a and have found numerous ommisions and bugs.
Porting VI will be a big pain.  If there is anyone out there who has made
a complete port, please tell me and prevent me from wasting weeks.  Otherwise,
stay tuned.

-- Marshall

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (05/17/91)

In article <9543@idunno.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@stroke.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) writes:
>I have the source for a new version of VI for UNIX.  I am thinking of
[... omissis ...]
>a complete port, please tell me and prevent me from wasting weeks.  Otherwise,
>stay tuned.

Hmmmm...  I know there are Z (distributed with Aztec C) and elvis both
seeming to be subset of vi, and elvis (but that runs under Minix, not
Amigados). It seems you'll need a lot of pain relief items :) :) :).
BTW never thought about using Gnu Emacs for Amiga with a Vi emulation
file ?

o   oooooo	Gian Uberto Lauri
      o    o	saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it
     o o

espie@ibis.Stanford.EDU (Marc Espie) (05/19/91)

In article <11179@alessia.dei.unipd.it> saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) writes:
>In article <9543@idunno.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@stroke.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) writes:
>>I have the source for a new version of VI for UNIX.  I am thinking of
>[... omissis ...]
>>a complete port, please tell me and prevent me from wasting weeks.  Otherwise,
>>stay tuned.
>
>Hmmmm...  I know there are Z (distributed with Aztec C) and elvis both
>seeming to be subset of vi, and elvis (but that runs under Minix, not
>Amigados). It seems you'll need a lot of pain relief items :) :) :).
>BTW never thought about using Gnu Emacs for Amiga with a Vi emulation
>file ?

Z: fairly small subset of vi, different syntax at many places. Crashes
when you try to do anything interesting with it.

stevie: not close enough, none of the interesting commands is in.

elvis: the best yet (if that means anything...), but serious shortcomings,
unless a new version I'm unaware of was shipped (no access to the CLI,
that means no filters whatever... so nothing really interesting is feasible.
no window resizes, and the worst: crashes on >256K files).

GnuEmacs: must be a joke. Right now, there is not even a working version of
GNUEmacs distributed (yep, I've got a 3000), and even so, if you want to
have vi for the amiga, it's certainly NOT for emulating the simple commands,
but rather for doing intricate things which you don't want to spend time
learning to do with other editors. Also, GNU Emacs is a monster, which is
a problem when you want to process really big files that would still fit
in memory.

So are there any other vi-clones around (I mean, REAL clones 1/2 :-) ) ?
----
	Marc (espie@flamingo.stanford.edu)