[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] MSH on A3000

mjl@ut-emx.uucp (Maurice LeBrun) (04/26/91)

[]

Dear Gentle readers,

Does anyone have MSH working on the A3000?  I have been unsuccessful at
getting this up, whether I use 2.0, 1.3, internal or external drive, stock
or normal bootup configuration, Arp or Commodore mount.

Symptoms:
 - Seems to mount ok ('mount msh:').
 - When I try 'messyfmt 0', I use all the defaults, then the drive light comes
   on and stays on, with nothing happening.

I haven't tried r/w from an already formatted MS-DOS floppy (I don't have
any; the workstation here has a problem formatting but can r/w MS-DOS
floppies).

Configuration:
  MSH version 34.8/1.30
  A3000 25/100, Workbench 2.0
  2M Chip RAM, 4M Fast RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Please email.

Maurice LeBrun                      mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu
Naka Fusion Research Establishment
JAERI, Japan

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/27/91)

In article <47934@ut-emx.uucp> mjl@ut-emx.uucp (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
[...]
>Symptoms:
> - Seems to mount ok ('mount msh:').
> - When I try 'messyfmt 0', I use all the defaults, then the drive light comes
>   on and stays on, with nothing happening.
>
>I haven't tried r/w from an already formatted MS-DOS floppy (I don't have
>any; the workstation here has a problem formatting but can r/w MS-DOS
>floppies).

On my A3000-25, MSH will read under 2.0, but can't seem to write.  It works
fine under 1.3, but the messyfmt program seems a little brain-damaged; it
locks up on a blank disk just like it does for you.  I've found I can
format a blank disk if I first do a AmigaDOS quick format on it like this:

	1> format drive df0: name "empty" noicons quick

then use messyfmt.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <47934@ut-emx.uucp> mjl@ut-emx.uucp (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>Does anyone have MSH working on the A3000?  I have been unsuccessful at
>getting this up, whether I use 2.0, 1.3, internal or external drive, stock
>or normal bootup configuration, Arp or Commodore mount.

	MSH is widely reported to have several bugs, which affect it's
operation under 2.0 and on A3000's (to some degree).  Commonly, under 2.0
it can't write disks.

	I (personally, not commodore) would recommend CrossDos from Consultron
if you need to work under 2.0 or have problems with MSH.  It's a well-supported
commercial product (make sure you have the latest version, 4.??, for full
2.0 compatibility).

>  A3000 25/100, Workbench 2.0
		^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Always include version numbers (2.00 (no one should be running this),
2.01 (no one should be running this), 2.02, 2.03 (mostly WB update), or
developer beta version 36.xxx or 37.xxx - use Version and/or WB About menu
to see the build version).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) (05/16/91)

In article <21537@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <47934@ut-emx.uucp> mjl@ut-emx.uucp (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
>>Does anyone have MSH working on the A3000?  I have been unsuccessful at
>>getting this up, whether I use 2.0, 1.3, internal or external drive, stock
>>or normal bootup configuration, Arp or Commodore mount.
>
>    MSH is widely reported to have several bugs, which affect it's
>operation under 2.0 and on A3000's (to some degree).  Commonly, under 2.0
>it can't write disks.

Msh works A OK on the latest versions of 2.0x there was a writing problem
in <= 2.02 as far as I know.
Sorry no more details I have signed a nondisclosure agreement.
Just remember: Every day you wait 2.0 gets even better, so be patient

  |  Ronald van Eijck                  {eunet!}hp4nl!cbmnlux!ecl014!ronald  |
  |  We do the impossible at once for a miracle we need a little more time  |

s8922967@ipc10.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (05/17/91)

about the comment at the end for 2.0: patience is wearing thin,is 2.0 ever
going to be released or is it forever going to be a developers only OS for
3000s only? when for my 500?

nothing personal ...

- Murray

PS. MSH is pretty OK

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (05/18/91)

In article <896@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, s8922967@ipc10.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
> about the comment at the end for 2.0: patience is wearing thin,is 2.0 ever
> going to be released or is it forever going to be a developers only OS for
> 3000s only? when for my 500?

Let me help you...

---- Sarcasm Alert -----
Ring Ring... (Perhaps add a few rings to set the proper stage)

"Commodore, may I help you?"

"Yes, Murray's patience is wearing thin... he wants 2.0 NOW!"

The Commodore Phone Represenative starts to cry...
"Oh, no!  How could this have happened.   His patience?  We can't
 let that expire!   I will tell all interested departments to
 forget the bug fixes, and compatibility issues and just release
 it for the A500."
------------------------

Tell me why would you post such a message?  Do you really think anyone
cares about your 'patience'?  If you want a beta 2.0, become a developer.
If you don't want to become a developer... wait.

> nothing personal ...

nothing personal, but sometimes I hate A500 owners. :-)

> - Murray
>
> PS. MSH is pretty OK

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf

peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (05/19/91)

s8922967@ipc10.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) writes:

>PS. MSH is pretty OK

Yes, I agree.  But I wish that somebody would tell us what has changed at
the packet level between 1.3 and 2.0 to make MSH not work.  Note that MSH
is based on the same code that Matt Dillon's DNET NFS: is based on, and
both have the same problem.  If one types "cd MSH:" or "cd NFS:"
one is greeted with "object not found".  The actual cd worked though, because
a dir at this point gives a MS-DOS or UNIX directory respectively.

I dont have the time to sit down and debug a packet handler again (I did it
once to get NFS: to work on a VAX - it has reverse byte order) - but if
somebody would say "xyz packet is handled differently now, it expects
a value of pqr in result x" or something, it would be a snap to fix!

I am not going to go out and buy CrossDos (regardless of what Randel Jesup
tells me to do..).

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cs.curtin.edu.au  (Home) +61-9-450-5243

In article <peter.674671787@cutmcvax> peter@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) writes:
>Yes, I agree.  But I wish that somebody would tell us what has changed at
>the packet level between 1.3 and 2.0 to make MSH not work.  Note that MSH
>is based on the same code that Matt Dillon's DNET NFS: is based on, and
>both have the same problem.  If one types "cd MSH:" or "cd NFS:"
>one is greeted with "object not found".  The actual cd worked though, because
>a dir at this point gives a MS-DOS or UNIX directory respectively.

	Actually, what CD is doing is walking up the directory tree to
get the full pathname of the destination - I suspect this is where the problem
comes, since I'm told it actually does change directories even though the
error is reported.

	The actions involved would be: COPY_DIR (duplock), PARENT,
EXAMINE, and FREE_OBJECT (unlock).  It also requires the fl_Volume pointer
to be set up correctly, and that Parent(root_lock) return 0 with dp_Res2
of 0 (i.e. IoErr() of 0) - I suspect this is the problem.

	Note: Parent has always had to return those values, though less things
depended on them in the past.  The code for NameFromLock() is taken from
code I wrote for myself a couple of years before coming to Commodore 3 years
ago - i.e. a year after the Amiga came out.

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf'Rhialto'Seibert) (05/23/91)

In article <21735@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	The actions involved would be: COPY_DIR (duplock), PARENT,
>EXAMINE, and FREE_OBJECT (unlock).  It also requires the fl_Volume pointer
>to be set up correctly, and that Parent(root_lock) return 0 with dp_Res2
>of 0 (i.e. IoErr() of 0) - I suspect this is the problem.

Yes, trying to get the parent of a 0 lock or a lock on the root directory
is explicitly tested and diagnosed with ERROR_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND. Seems
the logical thing to do. This is because 0 is equivalent to a lock on the
root directory and therefore the returned value is not a parent of the
given lock... it does not make any sense.

>	Note: Parent has always had to return those values, though less things
>depended on them in the past.

Oh? Is it in the AmigaDOS manual (Bantam)? If so, I must have missed it.
But I suppose that ParentDir(0) does need to return an error?

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg