[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AC TECH is looking for "review board" volunteers

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (05/07/91)

	About 2 weeks ago, I wrote a scathing letter to AC TECH magazine,
complaining about the quality of a UNIX article in the second issue.  Among
the topics I raised was:  "Don't you have a technical review board to
weed out mistakes...?"

	Well, I got a call from Ernie Viveiros of AC TECH today.  Indeed,
the magazine does *not* have a review board, but it wants to form one now.
I have accepted a position as reviewer of UNIX-oriented articles, so that
"slot" is taken.  But if you have a strong background in other Amiga-related
topics, and you want to volunteer to be a member of this board, contact Ernie
Viveiros at (800) 345-3360.

	This is a VOLUNTEER job; that is, you don't get paid.  However, I've
been given complimentary subscriptions to AC TECH and AMAZING COMPUTING for
my work.  (Of course, I can't guarantee that you'll get this too, since I'm
not a representative of AC TECH.  But I'd guess that it's likely.)  Ernie
says that he would like to pay the board members "eventually", but there are
no funds to do this now.

	I am not a representative of AC TECH -- in fact, before today, I
had never spoken with anyone on its staff before.  So standard disclaimers
apply....

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/09/91)

In article <8275@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>I have accepted a position as reviewer of UNIX-oriented articles, so that
>"slot" is taken.  But if you have a strong background in other Amiga-related

I hope they don't plan on only having one "reviewer" for each "area" --
 they could easily get somebody who knows only %50 of a subject area,
 or somebody who's personal politics interferes too often.
 ("Motif Rules! Therefore, this article on OpenLook gets trashed")
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...

dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Larson) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.233824.5196@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>I hope they don't plan on only having one "reviewer" for each "area" --
> they could easily get somebody who knows only %50 of a subject area,
> or somebody who's personal politics interferes too often.
> ("Motif Rules! Therefore, this article on OpenLook gets trashed")

Not to mention the fact that any one reviewer often misses many things
but that things missed are distributed randomly such that the more reviewers
ya got the fewer things you'll miss the better suggestions you'll get and the
better article you can produce.

--
          Dale Larson, Software Engineer, Amiga Network Development
                           dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/09/91)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <8275@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>I have accepted a position as reviewer of UNIX-oriented articles, so that
>>"slot" is taken.  But if you have a strong background in other Amiga-related
>
>I hope they don't plan on only having one "reviewer" for each "area" --
> they could easily get somebody who knows only %50 of a subject area,
> or somebody who's personal politics interferes too often.
> ("Motif Rules! Therefore, this article on OpenLook gets trashed")
>--
>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
>Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...
>(UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories).

Gee, this is wonderful.  in the latest AC there was a
knock-down-drag-through-the-mud-AmigaWorld-is-the-Anti-Christ-of-publications
and the turn around and copy the AmigaWorld Tech Journals lead.  i looked
through the AC tech journal and thought to myself "so what's so tech about
this?"  I mean, it was filled with beginners articles that have always been in
the regular AC.  while the AmigaWorld Tech Journal had helpful thought out
articles for those that already know quite a bit about the machine, but don't
happen to have any experience in that particular area.  I will NEVER buy
another issue of AC since the last editorial and found the AC Tech Journal to
be worthless.  i had previously liked AC, felt they covered some areas that
were left out by many other publications, but AC's Attitude lately has been so
hypocritical that it offends my sensibilities.  well, sorry for the bandwidth,
but i just felt that needed to be said.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (05/11/91)

>Gee, this is wonderful.  in the latest AC there was a
>knock-down-drag-through-the-mud-AmigaWorld-is-the-Anti-Christ-of-publications
>and the turn around and copy the AmigaWorld Tech Journals lead.

I don't think AW has any special claim to the concept of
"technical review staff".  I think AC Tech should have had one
before now, but better late than never, and no shame because the
other journal did it first.

>I looked
>through the AC tech journal and thought to myself "so what's so tech about
>this?"  I mean, it was filled with beginners articles that have always been in
>the regular AC.  while the AmigaWorld Tech Journal had helpful thought out
>articles for those that already know quite a bit about the machine, but don't
>happen to have any experience in that particular area.

I agree that the quality of articles in AC Techs issue #1 and #2
varied somewhat widely.  I think there were some excellent
articles therein.  I agree that the AW V1#1 was a better, albeit
smaller, effort--but then they had Commodore people writing for
them.  Money talks to a certain degree, and I think AW,
as a publication of enormous IDG, has more of that.

> I will NEVER buy
>another issue of AC since the last editorial and found the AC Tech Journal to
>be worthless.  i had previously liked AC, felt they covered some areas that
>were left out by many other publications, but AC's Attitude lately has been so
>hypocritical that it offends my sensibilities.  well, sorry for the bandwidth,
>but i just felt that needed to be said.

I respect your opinion but must disagree.  Despite the good
quality of AmigaWorld Tech Journal, AmigaWorld magazine proper
has offended my sensibilities a few times too often.  I
cancelled my subscription when I figured out that whenever I
knew something about a topic, AW got it significantly wrong.  I
find their approach very cosmetic, containing very little useful
information, and of course their cutesy style is legendary.

Not that this explains the AC editor's actions.  But if the
facts he mentioned are true, then I find his response justified.
If you withhold a story for the benefit of the Amiga community
in general, and a competitor runs it against the wishes of CBM,
then an editorial is the appropriate response/explanation.  No
problem there.

>| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
>| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
>| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |

--
Thom Cleland         //
tcleland@ucsd.edu  \X/   I'm having fun now.

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/12/91)

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>>Gee, this is wonderful.  in the latest AC there was a
>>knock-down-drag-through-the-mud-AmigaWorld-is-the-Anti-Christ-of-publications
>>and the turn around and copy the AmigaWorld Tech Journals lead.
>
>I don't think AW has any special claim to the concept of
>"technical review staff".  I think AC Tech should have had one
>before now, but better late than never, and no shame because the
>other journal did it first.

Granted, but my point was not that AC didn't have a right to do so, it was
that AC just went through a rave about AmigaWorld and then turns around and
copies them.

>>I looked
>>through the AC tech journal and thought to myself "so what's so tech about
>>this?"  I mean, it was filled with beginners articles that have always been in
>>the regular AC.  while the AmigaWorld Tech Journal had helpful thought out
>>articles for those that already know quite a bit about the machine, but don't
>>happen to have any experience in that particular area.
>
>I agree that the quality of articles in AC Techs issue #1 and #2
>varied somewhat widely.  I think there were some excellent
>articles therein.  I agree that the AW V1#1 was a better, albeit
>smaller, effort--but then they had Commodore people writing for
>them.  Money talks to a certain degree, and I think AW,
>as a publication of enormous IDG, has more of that.

No, i think it was that AmigaWorld started their Tech Efforts first and got
the best people.  AC turns around and feels it's being left in the cold so it
does the same thing and finds that all the good people have been taken.

>> I will NEVER buy
>>another issue of AC since the last editorial and found the AC Tech Journal to
>>be worthless.  i had previously liked AC, felt they covered some areas that
>>were left out by many other publications, but AC's Attitude lately has been so
>>hypocritical that it offends my sensibilities.  well, sorry for the bandwidth,
>>but i just felt that needed to be said.
>>
>I respect your opinion but must disagree.  Despite the good
>quality of AmigaWorld Tech Journal, AmigaWorld magazine proper
>has offended my sensibilities a few times too often.  I
>cancelled my subscription when I figured out that whenever I
>knew something about a topic, AW got it significantly wrong.  I
>find their approach very cosmetic, containing very little useful
>information, and of course their cutesy style is legendary.

Well, i've never had the occasion to find flaws in articles myself, not that
i'm saying they aren't there, but any magazine can have errors, and AmigaWorld
is no exception, i might say that i found many errors in AC as well.  I also
agree that AW may be a bit too commercial, but I think they cover things quite
well for the novice.  that's what the Tech Journal is all about, if it's more
than a novice can handle it should go to the Tech Journal.

>Not that this explains the AC editor's actions.  But if the
>facts he mentioned are true, then I find his response justified.
>If you withhold a story for the benefit of the Amiga community
>in general, and a competitor runs it against the wishes of CBM,
>then an editorial is the appropriate response/explanation.  No
>problem there.

If you read the editorial carefully you can read between the lines :

 "We are still piecing the story together"  translates into "We didn't even
know about this A3000T until we found out AmigaWorld was running the Article
which was too late to do anthing about it."

 nowhere did they say that CBM had told them not to run the story.  I have
heard no rumors that AmigaWorld go into trouble with CBM because they did.
The 3000T WAS shown at CeBit in Germany several weeks prior to AmigaWorld
hitting the shelves.  if CBM shows the machine publicly it's fair game for
anyone to write a review of it.  i saw tons of people talking about it hereon
usenet.

 "Obtained an engineering prototype..." means that CBM gave them a machine to
review.  why would cbm give them such a machine if it wasn't meant to be
reviewed?

 In short, AC was jealous.  that's all there is to it, their editorial was
nothing more than a public mud-slinging match.

 I don't think #1 of the Tech journal was all that small.  there were about a
dozend articles and they were very good.  about the same number you'd find in
another publication, just because they didn't fill them with source code to
fill up page space, that doesn't mean it's small.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (05/14/91)

In article <4888@orbit.cts.com> chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
>cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>>smaller, effort--but then they had Commodore people writing for
>>them.  Money talks to a certain degree, and I think AW,
>>as a publication of enormous IDG, has more of that.
>No, i think it was that AmigaWorld started their Tech Efforts first and got
>the best people.  AC turns around and feels it's being left in the cold so it
>does the same thing and finds that all the good people have been taken.

I don't believe there is anything preventing a tech review board member
from being a a review board for two differnet magazines. These are not
political positions, they are technical positions. There should be nothing
preventing AC from asking the same people that AW has to also review the
articles it puts together. Nor should their be anything preventing those
same people from accepting similar duties with another magazine. I know
there was no contract signed forbidding me from reviewing an article in
any other magazine, as a matter of fact I would refuse to sign such a thing.
Review board members are not there to endorse the magazine, they are their
to improve the contents of the magazine.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

In article <4873@orbit.cts.com> chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>>In article <8275@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>>I have accepted a position as reviewer of UNIX-oriented articles, so that
>>>"slot" is taken.  But if you have a strong background in other Amiga-related

>>I hope they don't plan on only having one "reviewer" for each "area" --

>while the AmigaWorld Tech Journal had helpful thought out articles for those
>that already know quite a bit about the machine, but don't happen to have any
>experience in that particular area.

I suspect that this kind of journal is a difficult thing to put out, period.
There are quite a few articles, at least in AW Tech Journal, by people who
really do know what they're talking about.  The main reason is that AW went
out, hunted these people down, and convinced them to write.  At least, that's
how they got me to do an article.  Plain old generic rags can do a decent job
with staff writers, but if you're writing for the experts, that writing has
to be done by the experts.  And, unfortunately for the magazine people, the
experts generally gave a full load already.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.