[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Multitasking game problem

olag@ifi.uio.no (Ola Fosheim Gr|stad) (05/21/91)

I am currently working on a multitasking game, but I've got a problem
since I don't want to suspend Intuition and am using my own Copperlist.

How can I make sure that the user doesn't activate a screen or a window??

(Please send e-mail to olag@ifi.uio.no)

--
Ola Fosheim Groestad (Midi-freak & Amiga programmer??)

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.135734.11209@ifi.uio.no> olag@ifi.uio.no (Ola Fosheim
Gr|stad) writes:
>
>I am currently working on a multitasking game, but I've got a problem
>since I don't want to suspend Intuition and am using my own Copperlist.
>
>How can I make sure that the user doesn't activate a screen or a window??

Install your own input handler to trap all inputs that could possibly activate
a window. i.e. left mouse button events, left Amiga-N and left Amiga-M. I
don't know how/when left-Alt left-Amiga fake mouse presses are generated,
so I don't know if you have to do something special for those, too.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/24/91)

In article <2866@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <1991May21.135734.11209@ifi.uio.no> olag@ifi.uio.no (Ola Fosheim
>Gr|stad) writes:
>>
>>I am currently working on a multitasking game, but I've got a problem
>>since I don't want to suspend Intuition and am using my own Copperlist.
>>
>>How can I make sure that the user doesn't activate a screen or a window??
>
>Install your own input handler to trap all inputs that could possibly activate
>a window. i.e. left mouse button events, left Amiga-N and left Amiga-M. I
>don't know how/when left-Alt left-Amiga fake mouse presses are generated,
>so I don't know if you have to do something special for those, too.
>
>Valentin
>--
>"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
> is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700
>                                                 Usenet:    mips!btr!valentin
>                     - Ancient Inca Proverb      Internet:  valentin@btr.com

As long as you are using your own copper list, you might want to just open a borderless
backdrop window behind your "view" so that it gets mouse clicked on.  Don't ask for
any IDCMP for it except for INACTIVE and if you receive it, just do a window and screen
to front call(s) to reactivate yourself.  You might even use an Exec task to service the
IDCMP for it...  You should probably be strobing the copper every VBL, also...

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *