[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] C Manual

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/13/91)

  I have a few extra printouts of the C Manual, which is a public domain
C help file, about 4 megabytes or so on disk. I laser printed a few copies,
double sided and hole punched, and put them into 3 ring binders (blue,
black, red, and light blue). I have a few extras, that I will sell for $30.
I will include 30 or so page dividers. If anyone wants one, please email
by Wednesday May 15th or possibly Thursday, as it takes a long time to print
out extra copies. I will pay shipping.
--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May12.204101.29882@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I have a few extra printouts of the C Manual, which is a public domain
>C help file, about 4 megabytes or so on disk. I laser printed a few copies,
>double sided and hole punched, and put them into 3 ring binders (blue,
>black, red, and light blue). I have a few extras, that I will sell for $30.

So I guess you have written permission from the author, haven't you ?

Quoted from the Readme.doc:

    Copyright 1991 by Anders Bjerin. All rights reserved. This manual
    together with the examples  may  be  given  to  others if no fee,
    except to cover the  costs,  is  charged.  The  disks  may not be
    modified, and may not be  published  in  any form without written
    permission by the author.

The C Manual is NOT Public Domain, you are only granted limited
distribution rights for this otherwise copyrighted manual.
I also doubt that $30 only cover the costs.

>I will include 30 or so page dividers. If anyone wants one, please email
>by Wednesday May 15th or possibly Thursday, as it takes a long time to print
>out extra copies. I will pay shipping.

So what ? Are you just selling one or two extra copies you "accidently" made,
or are you trying to collect orders commercially ?

I guess a better way to spend the bucks is sending them to the author.
He doesn't offer a printed version, but he DOES offer cheap updates
to the manual to registered owners. So $30 would buy you registration
($25) and one update ($5).

BTW: The most recent version is on Fred Fish Disks 456 and 457.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May12.204101.29882@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I have a few extra printouts of the C Manual, which is a public domain
>C help file, about 4 megabytes or so on disk. I laser printed a few copies,
>double sided and hole punched, and put them into 3 ring binders (blue,
>black, red, and light blue). I have a few extras, that I will sell for $30.
>I will include 30 or so page dividers. If anyone wants one, please email
>by Wednesday May 15th or possibly Thursday, as it takes a long time to print
>out extra copies. I will pay shipping.
>--
>           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
>   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.
>     But the world isn't too good here, and it wasn't always like that."
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

You must be kidding.  Anyone who sends you money should be sending it to the
author of the manual instead.  Your $30 fee doesn't just cover your costs of
distribution, which is what PD Wares dictate you can charge.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/20/91)

In article <mykes.2690@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

   You must be kidding.  Anyone who sends you money should be sending it to the
   author of the manual instead.  Your $30 fee doesn't just cover your costs of
   distribution, which is what PD Wares dictate you can charge.

Unless "PD Wares" is the name of the owner of the manual (which a
quick scan of the Fish disk entry didn't show), this is wrong. If a
piece of software is PD, then in the US I can legally do whatever I
want with it, including repackaging it and charging whatever I want
for it. In fact, there are cases where the buyer of such software had
paied for it's development in the first place. There's not a thing
they can do about it.

It's not even clear that claiming I wrote a piece of PD Software
illegal. Being a lie, it's unethical - but that doesn't make it
illegal.

	<mike
--
Round about, round about, in a fair ring-a.		Mike Meyer
Thus we dance, thus we dance, and thus we sing-a.	mwm@pa.dec.com

jdmst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John D Morris) (05/20/91)

	Is there a manual for programming in the C language available via
FTP?  I'd hate to go spend $25-$30 for one if I can get one over the net.
Please E-mail replies as I am not subscribed to this group.
							Thanks
							JM

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/22/91)

From article <MWM.91May19165222@raven.pa.dec.com>, by mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer):
> In article <mykes.2690@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
> quick scan of the Fish disk entry didn't show), this is wrong. If a
> piece of software is PD, then in the US I can legally do whatever I
> want with it, including repackaging it and charging whatever I want
> for it. In fact, there are cases where the buyer of such software had

Thus the GNU CopyLeft.

> It's not even clear that claiming I wrote a piece of PD Software
> illegal. Being a lie, it's unethical - but that doesn't make it
> illegal.

It's illegal if you use that claim for monetary gain. Then it's called
"fraud". Look it up -- making false claims for monetary gain.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

In article <mykes.2690@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
> You must be kidding.  Anyone who sends you money should be sending it to the
> author of the manual instead.  Your $30 fee doesn't just cover your costs of
> distribution, which is what PD Wares dictate you can charge.

Mike, "PD" means "you can charge whatever you want". Plus, have you figured
the cost of wear on his printer, toner, paper, binders, his time, etc...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.005445.28072@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <mykes.2690@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>> You must be kidding.  Anyone who sends you money should be sending it to the
>> author of the manual instead.  Your $30 fee doesn't just cover your costs of
>> distribution, which is what PD Wares dictate you can charge.
>
>Mike, "PD" means "you can charge whatever you want". Plus, have you figured
>the cost of wear on his printer, toner, paper, binders, his time, etc...
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Yes, and based on what my company bills its clients (yes, we keep
records to this level of detail) for pages xeroxed, pages
laserprinted, and pages faxed, $30 for a 100+ page document seems
about right, once you have added up the per-page charges, the cost of
the binder and dividers, and the cost of the labor to feed the
laserprinter, print the pages, put them in binders, and mail them off.

Wildstar