[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] JForth

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/27/91)

In article <216@touch.touch.com> mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) writes:

>JForth includes an INTERACTIVE assembler that can read source lines
>either from a text file or the keyboard.  disassembler too.
>Can even mix assembly with high-level jforth in the same file.
>
>Might be good for beginners since you can quickly write little
>assembly thingys and run them immediately.  no linking.

[ example assembly routine removed ]

>you do have to know how to push things and pop things off their data stack,
>but that's pretty easy...it doesn't get any worse than above for pushing,
>popping is one instruction.
>
>If you write high-level jforth code, you can call assembly-language
>words same as other high-level ones...their use is identical.
>Worth taking a look at.

Not to mention that JForth comes with 2-3 Megs of source code and is an extremely
complete programming environment for the Amiga, supporting the entire RKM.  I have
version 2.0, which doesn't support 2.0 (the new OS) tho.  Although it looks and
acts like Forth, I consider JForth to be one of the most interesting concepts in
macro assemblers around.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *