[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AC/AW fight over the 3000T

PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) (05/13/91)

Erik Funkenbusch <chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org> writes:

If you read the editorial carefully you can read between the lines :

 "We are still piecing the story together"  translates into "We didn't even
know about this A3000T until we found out AmigaWorld was running the Article
which was too late to do anthing about it."

----------

Let me tell you a little story about AmigaWorld and Amazing Computing.

Last summer I took a job at AC. It's based in Fall River, MA, and I live in
Rhode Island, about 35 miles away. The job paid peanuts, and I knew that.
But I wanted work experience.

My second week there and AW comes out with the story on CDTV, which they
referred to as "Baby." Needless to say Managing Editor Don Hicks was bent
out of shape because the CDTV had just been announced. I wrote the story for
it later that week (dig out your back issues of AC and look at the name),
using a transcript of a press conference with Nolan Bushnell and one other CBM
bigwig (I should know his name, but can't remember right now. It wasn not
Copperman).

My story was solid. I used press release information and comments from the
press conference. The AW story was total speculation and vapor because they
had nothing to offer. re-read the story. The title "Baby" was an inside
joke at CBM. When I heard it I cracked up.

What really angered Don was when I pointed out that the AW cover was not the
CDTV. CDTV, if you look close, uses a dish for the CD that you insert.
The AW cover was a tray that CD players use. You could even see a brand name
over the tray. I guessed it was Pioneer. So needless to say an awful lot of
BS-ing was done on the part of AW.

AW has a three month lead time. That means a magazine on the racks NOW had
to be finished in February, or thereabouts. AC has a lead time of less than
a month. When an issue is done it goes to the printer and is on the racks
ASAP. Therefore, they ran a story on something that was nowhere near completed.
At Comdex, the CDTV was still far from complete. AW had taken a monumental
risk. If that machine was still vapor when they ran it, someone would look
VERY stupid.

Don ended up going to CBM HQ in West Chester after I pointed out this little
stunt on the part of Doug Barney (Rubble). Normally he's pretty easy-going.
But not that day... can't say I don't blame him.

My point is this: let's not be too quick to accuse AC of being behind on
things. Having been involved, I'm very willing to accuse AW of running stories
that should not be run, and obtaining information through leaks. The whole
event was a year ago, and I've forgotten some of it. But I do know it had
to do with insiders and people at AW/IDG Peterborough leaking info.

.signed,

   /                              |  Bitnet: pyc136@uriacc.bitnet        \
  /  Andy Patrizio                |  Internet: pyc136@uriacc.uri.edu      \
 /   University of Rhode Island   |  ARPA: pyc136%uriacc@brownvm.brown.edu \
 \                                |  Usenet: uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo    /
  \                                                                       /
   \           "What a thrilling life..." -- Precious Metal              /

In article <53390@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) writes:

>My point is this: let's not be too quick to accuse AC of being behind on
>things. Having been involved, I'm very willing to accuse AW of running stories
>that should not be run, and obtaining information through leaks. The whole
>event was a year ago, and I've forgotten some of it. But I do know it had
>to do with insiders and people at AW/IDG Peterborough leaking info.

Actually, I thought Don's AC editorial did have some real merit, it wasn't
just sour grapes for being "scooped".  I was working on an essay piece, which
I figured might end up here, in a "letters" column, or possibly in the (maybe
defunct at this point) AmigaWorld back page essay thing.  My point was that,
especially in a market as small, vibrant, and fragile as the Amiga's, you have
a certain responsibility to that "environment" as long as you're part of it.
That goes equally well for Commodore, 3rd parties, magazines, and users.  Maybe
some day I'll finish it....
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (05/28/91)

(I'm not sure this discussion belongs in c.s.a.programmer, but since
 I found it here, I'm replying here...)

I just wanted to mention that I have let my AmiWorld subscription
lapse because of the AC editorial over the 3000T.  They're right;
AW is doing more to hurt the Ami community than help it, and I,
for one, do not want to give them money for doing it.  There comes
a time when you just have to stand up and say "enough."

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe          (215) 363-9485 || With.   Without.   And who'll ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.     (home)  || deny it's what the fighting's ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214    458-5000 || all about?    -  Pink Floyd   ||
||                            (work)   --------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet     jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu     QLink: KurtTappe  ||
>lapse because of the AC editorial over the 3000T.  They're right;
>AW is doing more to hurt the Ami community than help it, and I,
>for one, do not want to give them money for doing it.  There comes
>a time when you just have to stand up and say "enough."
>
>                                                            Kurt

Glad to hear that you are so gullible as to beleive everything you read, i
have some prime oceanfront property in arizona i'd like you to look at.  I've
already proven at least 3 of AC's allegations false, and others don't stand up
to common sense if you just THINK about it.  AC's editorial was in bad taste,
at LEAST partially misleading, and nothing more than mudslinging at it's
worst, i'd bet you'd vote for a governer that claimed his opponent was the
Anti-christ.  I really wouldn't be surprised if AW sued AC for slander (among
other things).  I for one will not buy another issue of AC just because of
that editorial, i do NOT help pay for a mudslinging campaign that can do
nothing but damage the Amiga community.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

etj90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Khaos - the Demon in the Machine) (05/29/91)

In article <5005@orbit.cts.com>, chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
> Glad to hear that you are so gullible as to beleive everything you read, i
> have some prime oceanfront property in arizona i'd like you to look at.  I've
> already proven at least 3 of AC's allegations false, and others don't stand up
> to common sense if you just THINK about it.  AC's editorial was in bad taste,
> at LEAST partially misleading, and nothing more than mudslinging at it's
> worst, i'd bet you'd vote for a governer that claimed his opponent was the
> Anti-christ.  I really wouldn't be surprised if AW sued AC for slander (among
> other things).  I for one will not buy another issue of AC just because of
> that editorial, i do NOT help pay for a mudslinging campaign that can do
> nothing but damage the Amiga community.

1) Who is AC ?
2) What did he/she/it/other say about the A3000T ?
--
Quote: "I am Khaos."
I Love My Shift Key.