[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Multiple C Directories

sk21s22@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) (05/20/91)

Is there a program that will allow you to have multiple C directories?  I know
of the PATH command, but that only seems to work in the current CLI window.
I'm looking for something perminant that works in the same way.  Any help
would be appreciated...

carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) (05/21/91)

In article <sk21s22.4750@amiglynx.UUCP> sk21s22@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) writes:
>Is there a program that will allow you to have multiple C directories?  I know
>of the PATH command, but that only seems to work in the current CLI window.
>I'm looking for something perminant that works in the same way.  Any help
>would be appreciated...

1. If you set your paths BEFORE LoadWb, all shells started from WB
   will have those paths.  Under 2.0, such paths should be set in
   s:user-startup

2. use Bill Hawes' "PathMan" under 1.3 or 2.0

3. Under 2.0, the ASSIGN command can add additional paths to an
   assign such as C:

 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 I am fully operational and all of my circuits are funcTiOnINg pperrf...

ipolyi@alamo.Berkeley.EDU (Harold H. Ipolyi 713-486-6444) (05/22/91)

writes:
> Is there a program that will allow you to have multiple C directories?
I know
> of the PATH command, but that only seems to work in the current CLI
window.
> I'm looking for something perminant that works in the same way.  Any
help
> would be appreciated...

A PATH command added to S:StartUp-Sequence or S:User-Startup (in 2.0)
has global effect.

Also (look up the PATH command in the manual, since my memory is
usually faulty) you can do "path c: x:y/z add" to make commands in
x:y/z as visible as those in sys:c. I don't remember whether to order
of added paths is important (moot, unless you have commands of the
same name; e.g. arp replacement, etc.)

peic@core.north.de (Peter Eichler) (05/24/91)

In article <sk21s22.4750@amiglynx.UUCP>, Steve K writes:

>Is there a program that will allow you to have multiple C directories?  I know
>of the PATH command, but that only seems to work in the current CLI window.
>I'm looking for something perminant that works in the same way.  Any help
>would be appreciated...

Well, you should use the PATH command in your Shell-Startup. Every new
shell will get the same (multiple) pathes, I think, this is want you
want, right?

Cheerio,
Peter

Q:What's the problem of being drunk?  A:Ask a glass of water.     (Hitchhiker)
Peter Eichler         VOICE: (+)49 421 530642     SYSTEM  : Amiga 3000,6MB RAM
Hegelstrasse 3        EMAIL: peic@core.north.de   CPU     : 68030/68882, 25MHz
2800 Bremen, Germany  EMAIL: peic@skuld.north.de  HARDDISK: 105MB Quantum,19ms

mr3@ukc.ac.uk (M.Rizzo) (05/24/91)

In article <21768@cbmvax.commodore.com> carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) writes:

>3. Under 2.0, the ASSIGN command can add additional paths to an
>   assign such as C:

I don't have 2.0 yet (but I hopefully soon will). If I understand
the above statement correctly, an assign can be made to refer to
several paths as opposed to just one (as in 1.3). Effectively C: can
be viewed as an equivalent to the PATH environment variable under
UNIX.

If I got this right, can someone please tell me what happens if
I say things like

	dir c:
	cd c:
	copy foo c:

where c: has been assigned to multiple paths ?

Also, does this enhancement to assigns mean that I can place
shared libraries and fonts in multiple directories and have
them searched for without having to re-assign FONTS: and LIBS:
everytime ?  If so, a big hooray for Commodore !

Thanks,

Mike

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (05/30/91)

In article <193021b8.ARN00a8@core.north.de> peic@core.north.de (Peter Eichler) writes:
>In article <sk21s22.4750@amiglynx.UUCP>, Steve K writes:
>
>>Is there a program that will allow you to have multiple C directories?  I know
>>of the PATH command, but that only seems to work in the current CLI window.
>>I'm looking for something perminant that works in the same way.  Any help
>>would be appreciated...
>
>Well, you should use the PATH command in your Shell-Startup. Every new
>shell will get the same (multiple) pathes, I think, this is want you
>want, right?
>
>Cheerio,
>Peter

 Maybe his problem is similar to one I had. When I opened a Shell it only
had C: and current directory in the path even though my S:Startup-Sequence
has set a number of other directories in the path.

 To fix this problem I added PATH RESET and then PATH ... ... ... ... ...
(where ... is the different directories I wanted in the path) to my
S:Shell-Startup.

>Peter Eichler         VOICE: (+)49 421 530642     SYSTEM  : Amiga 3000,6MB RAM

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |