[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Default Icons - Can I USE them?

jeffg@comspec.uucp (Jeff Goebel) (05/27/91)

Is there any way (or existing utility) which allows me to CREATE a default
icon for a file without fiddluing with the COPY command os DOS?

What I'd like to do is this:  I have a few directories or files on disk
which do not have icons.  With wb2.0 I can create "visual" default icons
for these... but they go away, and can not accept a position snapshot
or internal data.

Ideally, a menu option to SNAPSHOT a fake icon should CREATE a real icon for
the item.  It seems logical.  If I'm not mistaken, snapshotting a deleted
DISK.INFO does in fact create a real disk.info.  I wish this were the case
with all occurances.

I have need for this often!

--
Jeff Goebel.
Comspec Staff.  I am obligated to point out that my messages are the views

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.134703.28716@comspec.uucp> jeffg@comspec.uucp (Jeff Goebel) writes:
>Is there any way (or existing utility) which allows me to CREATE a default
>icon for a file without fiddluing with the COPY command os DOS?
>
>What I'd like to do is this:  I have a few directories or files on disk
>which do not have icons.  With wb2.0 I can create "visual" default icons
>for these... but they go away, and can not accept a position snapshot
>or internal data.
>
>Ideally, a menu option to SNAPSHOT a fake icon should CREATE a real icon for
>the item.  It seems logical.  If I'm not mistaken, snapshotting a deleted
>DISK.INFO does in fact create a real disk.info.  I wish this were the case
>with all occurances.
>
>I have need for this often!
>
>--
>Jeff Goebel.
>Comspec Staff.  I am obligated to point out that my messages are the views
>and opinions of myself, and not those of Comspec, or my bosses in particular.
>Comspec:  (416) 633-5605    PCPN BBS: (416) 633-0185

There are actually a few additions to this that I would like to see.  When you try
to "leave out" a fake icon, it could ask if you want to create a default one for you.
Also, when you use the "Information" menuitem, you should be able to fill in the
normally greyed out fields in the dialog and force it to write out a real icon.

But, you can pretty easily (tho absolutely not at all user-friendly) make icons for
your files using IconEd.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

bmccnnll@vax1.tcd.ie (05/30/91)

> But, you can pretty easily (tho absolutely not at all user-friendly) make icons for
> your files using IconEd.

There's a program in the Public Domain called DefaultIcon which puts an icon on
the Workbench, and creates an icon for anything dragged onto it, depending on
whether it's a drawer, tool or whatever. It can also recognise specific types
of file by their headers. I found it quite useful when I created a new set of
icons for WB2.0, as I could just select a load of drawers in one go, drag them
over, and they'd all be changed to my new drawer icon.

Barry.