[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Me whining about 040 support

billc@cryo.rain.com (William J. Coldwell) (05/30/91)

In article <22020@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <billc.3366@cryo.UUCP> billc@cryo.UUCP (William J. Coldwell) writes:
[me whining about '040 and Lattice 5.10a deleted]
[me whining about discrepancies of Lattice code generation vs. Manx]

>	'040 support??  There's only one user-level instruction that was added:
>Move16, and that one requires a NOP either before or after it in the currently
>available mask revs, if I remember right.

Before it.  Good memory.  Nice to see that Commodore is reading the latest
errata on the '040.   This should say something ;-).  MOVE16 is a nice
thing to have when you _need_ to move things around very quickly.

>Perhaps you mean FP that uses inline for instruction that are in the CPU,
>and calls subroutines directly for things that are emulated.
>That's all I can think of.

Software FPU function emulation is not a problem.  You don't need something
like MOVE16 or any 040 specialized instructions to do it.

On that note, I was hearing that 2.04 now has '040 cache control support -
is this the case?  Or am I still going to have to SetFunction() to get the
PFlush() commands in there?  I suppose that I could call, but I've already
got your attention, and this is cheaper ;-).

>Also, on what released '040 board would they test it?
               ^^^^^^^^
If it was released, then I wouldn't be whining about it.  This must be a
trick question, right? ;-)  I'm sure if they were responsive, then _someone_
may lend them a board to test it.

>	I take it 5.10a has a bug that's affecting you?  I assume you've
>notified them - they're pretty good about support, and also provide good
>support on BIX (a number of their programmers are regulars there, and answer
>questions in their support conference).

It has something that I haven't taken the time to track down.  I'm one of
those types that "if I can't hit the nail with this hammer, then let's try
another hammer...(apologies to Peter Cherna)".

--
     William J. Coldwell       PLink: CRYO      I'm a 3-DPro, wouldn't you
   Amiga Attitude Adjuster   BIX: wjcoldwell      like to be a 3-DPro2 ?