[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Quest about 2.0 Workbench Fonts

cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) (05/29/91)

Hi,

Just a small question about WorkBench 2.0. Is it true that you can change the
font on Workbench to something other than topaz?

If so, does that mean that when you run a program that open a new window
calling the default font for use with the console.device you could get a
font other than topaz_80 or topaz_60?

IE what I'm getting at are do programs like the old infocom games still handle
there printing to windows correctly.

Be seeing you,

Brendon Wyber                     Computer Services Centre,
b.wyber@csc.canterbury.ac.nz      University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

"Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

In article <1991May29.132127.908@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> cctr120@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Brendon Wyber, C.S.C.) writes:
>Just a small question about WorkBench 2.0. Is it true that you can change the
>font on Workbench to something other than topaz?

	Yup.  Though there are now two separate fonts: on for titles, etc, and
the other for consoles (which must be fixed width _for the time being_).

>If so, does that mean that when you run a program that open a new window
>calling the default font for use with the console.device you could get a
>font other than topaz_80 or topaz_60?

	Yup.

>IE what I'm getting at are do programs like the old infocom games still handle
>there printing to windows correctly.

	If they use console.device, they should be ok (things will wrap if
need be).  Of course, this assumes they didn't specify topaz 80 or 60
themselves.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

Jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) (05/30/91)

In article <21989@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	Yup.  Though there are now two separate fonts: on for titles, etc, and
>the other for consoles (which must be fixed width _for the time being_).

Excuse me Randal, '_for the time being_'.  Uh won't this break tabbing
and etc on the console if its ever anything but?  Admittedly, it would
be rather cool to have have proportional spaced consoles that work
properly (i.e. backspace, clipping, tabbing, etc).  Wouldn't this slow
the system down terribly though?  I remember how sluggish word is on
the Mac.  Don't forget, we don't all have 3000's.

That reminds me, I'm typing this on my 1000, I've just got 2.0 running
on it fairly stably, and WB is S*L*O*W.  I couldn't live with a console
that was that speed.

>--
>Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
>{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
>Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
>"No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai

--

 |_o_o|\\
 |. o.| || The           Jay Denebeim
 | .  | ||  Software
 | o  | ||   Distillery
 |    |//        Address: UUCP:     mcnc.org!deepthot.uucp!jay
 ======                   Internet: jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us
                 BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934

In article <Jay.1903@deepthot.cary.nc.us> Jay@deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim) writes:
>In article <21989@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>	Yup.  Though there are now two separate fonts: on for titles, etc, and
>>the other for consoles (which must be fixed width _for the time being_).
>
>Excuse me Randal, '_for the time being_'.  Uh won't this break tabbing
>and etc on the console if its ever anything but?  Admittedly, it would
>be rather cool to have have proportional spaced consoles that work
>properly (i.e. backspace, clipping, tabbing, etc).  Wouldn't this slow
>the system down terribly though?  I remember how sluggish word is on
>the Mac.  Don't forget, we don't all have 3000's.

	Ok, I was doing my normal "don't make assumptions" trick.  We _would_
like to have proportional console windows at some point, but it's hard to get
them to work right.  For a while in 2.0 alphas we did have them, until we
realized is wasn't a really good idea, and that we didn't have time to do it
right.

	The current "system default font" will probably always be fixed-width
(in fact, we considered calling it the "system default fixed-width font", but
that's a pretty big mouthful... ;-)  Con: windows and console devices may
at some point support proportional fonts, though.