[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Information on Amiga Technical Reference Series books, 3rd ed.

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (05/24/91)

Following the announcement in the .programmer newsgroup (I think) of the
new book, _Amiga User Interface Style Guide_, in April, I've been
scouring local bookstores looking for a copy.  So far, no luck, so I
called the publisher, Addison-Wesley.  This book has been pushed back to
June.  They did send out a copy of "Addison-Wesley Trade Computer Books,
Fall 1991" with more information.  Here are ordering details on the new
revision Amiga Technical Reference Series books.  These cover AmigaDOS
v2.0 and all hardware models from A500 through A3000.  Author for all
titles is "Commodore-Amiga, Inc."

     Amiga User Interface Style Guide, 224 pp., $21.95, April (now June)
     ISBN 0-201-57757-7

     Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:
     	Includes and Autodocs, 3rd ed., 1000 pp., $38.95, August,
     	ISBN 0-201-56773-3

     	Devices, 3rd ed., 512 pp., $28.95, August,
     	ISBN 0-201-56775-X

     	Libraries, 3rd ed., 960 pp., $38.95, October,
     	ISBN 0-201-56774-1

     Amiga Hardware Reference Manual, 3rd ed., 512 pp., $28.95, August,
     ISBN 0-201-56776-8

Notes: Technical book publishers are notoriously bad about keeping
announced release dates.  Not included here is the _AmigaDOS Manual_,
which has a different publisher.

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

>     Amiga User Interface Style Guide, 224 pp., $21.95, April (now June)
>     ISBN 0-201-57757-7

	Note: I've seen physical copies of this, so it ought to be in the
pipeline at the least.

>Notes: Technical book publishers are notoriously bad about keeping
>announced release dates.  Not included here is the _AmigaDOS Manual_,
>which has a different publisher.

	Bantam, RSN (I don't know the date).

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

ahh@glyph.kingston.ny.us (Andy Heffernan) (05/26/91)

In article <22877@shlump.lkg.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
[...]
>     Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:
[...]
>     	Devices, 3rd ed., 512 pp., $28.95, August,
>     	ISBN 0-201-56775-X
>
>     	Libraries, 3rd ed., 960 pp., $38.95, October,
>     	ISBN 0-201-56774-1

Yay!  They're splitting them up!  They're splitting them up!
Can heavier stock paper be far behind?

  Andy Heffernan		文字		uunet!glyph!ahh

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (05/28/91)

In article <1601@glyph.kingston.ny.us> ahh@glyph.UUCP (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>In article <22877@shlump.lkg.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>>     Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:
>>     	Devices, 3rd ed., 512 pp., $28.95, August, ISBN 0-201-56775-X
>>     	Libraries, 3rd ed., 960 pp., $38.95, October, ISBN 0-201-56774-1
>
>Yay!  They're splitting them up!  They're splitting them up!
>Can heavier stock paper be far behind?

Look carefully at the page count.  If we go to heavier stock the books
will end up a foot thick.  Also remember that there is a direct
correlation between paper quality and retail price.  How much do you
want to pay for these?
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/30/91)

In article <21956@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <1601@glyph.kingston.ny.us> ahh@glyph.UUCP (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>>In article <22877@shlump.lkg.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>>>     Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:
>>>     	Devices, 3rd ed., 512 pp., $28.95, August, ISBN 0-201-56775-X
>>>     	Libraries, 3rd ed., 960 pp., $38.95, October, ISBN 0-201-56774-1
>>
>>Yay!  They're splitting them up!  They're splitting them up!
>>Can heavier stock paper be far behind?
>
>Look carefully at the page count.  If we go to heavier stock the books
>will end up a foot thick.  Also remember that there is a direct
>correlation between paper quality and retail price.  How much do you
>want to pay for these?
>--
>--
>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
>uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
>bix:  kfarinsky

A high quality hard cover bound set of manuals that are extremely well written
are worth the money.  Inside Macintosh is an example of this quality of book, as
well as the Knuth books, etc.  On the other hand, a really nice RING binding would
be nice so you could leave the book(s) open to any page without breaking the binding...

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

ahh@glyph.kingston.ny.us (Andy Heffernan) (06/01/91)

In article <21956@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <1601@glyph.kingston.ny.us> ahh@glyph.UUCP (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>>In article <22877@shlump.lkg.dec.com> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
[...]
>>Can heavier stock paper be far behind?
>
>Look carefully at the page count.  If we go to heavier stock the books
>will end up a foot thick.  Also remember that there is a direct
>correlation between paper quality and retail price.  How much do you
>want to pay for these?

Oh, yes, I realize very well that good stuff comes at a price.
That's why I bought a 3000UX instead of a 500.
Regarding your last question, I'd pay $50-60 for better quality paper,
or better yet, loose-leaf with binders.  But that's me.

  Andy Heffernan		$BJ8;z(J		uunet!glyph!ahh

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (06/03/91)

From article <1603@glyph.kingston.ny.us>, by ahh@glyph.kingston.ny.us (Andy Heffernan):
> In article <21956@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>>Look carefully at the page count.  If we go to heavier stock the books
>>will end up a foot thick.  Also remember that there is a direct
>>correlation between paper quality and retail price.  How much do you
>>want to pay for these?
>
> Oh, yes, I realize very well that good stuff comes at a price.
> That's why I bought a 3000UX instead of a 500.
> Regarding your last question, I'd pay $50-60 for better quality paper,

Given that you'll need three (3) RKM's instead of two, you're talking about
$150-180 just for the basic manuals needed for programming. That's no
problem for the developer set, of course, but for Average Anne and Everyday
Ed it might be a problem indeed (since $180 doesn't grow on trees).

I don't know about you, but I certainly appreciate their attempts to keep
the costs of the manuals down. Saving $50-$60 on the price of the manual
means that I can spend that money on something else Amiga-related.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg