[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] RKMs and Screens

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (06/03/91)

	Would anything strange be expected to happen if I change the BitMap of
a screen opened by another program? If so, what? and how would I get around
the problem?

Secondly, from whom are the RKM manuals available? What are their costs and do
they cover new functions of OS 2.0?

Thanks in advance for replies!
R. Luebbert

INET: mrimages @beach.gal.utexas.edu
BNET: mrimages@utmbeach

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (06/06/91)

In article <426.284909a9@beach.gal.utexas.edu> mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:

>	Would anything strange be expected to happen if I change the BitMap of
>a screen opened by another program? If so, what? and how would I get around
>the problem?

Generally, if you don't own a resource, keep well away from it. As Peter would
tell you, it's 'impolite' to start modifying another screen's or window's
appearance, so there should be no reason for you to modify another screen's BitMap.

Furthermore, you cannot know what the application is doing with it's BitMap. For
all you know, it may be doublebuffering the BitMap structure in its screen, so
you would only get one BitMap, and you wouldn't know that there is another.

>Secondly, from whom are the RKM manuals available? What are their costs and do
>they cover new functions of OS 2.0?

The new 2.0 RKMs are not finished yet.

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | Bix: sshanson
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | "Render? I hardly even

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (06/07/91)

In article <22176@cbmvax.commodore.com>, spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) writes:
> In article <426.284909a9@beach.gal.utexas.edu> mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:
>>
>>	Would anything strange be expected to happen if I change the BitMap of
>>a screen opened by another program? If so, what? and how would I get around
>>the problem?
>>
> Generally, if you don't own a resource, keep well away from it. As Peter would
> tell you, it's 'impolite' to start modifying another screen's or window's
> appearance, so there should be no reason for you to modify another screen's BitMap.
>
> Furthermore, you cannot know what the application is doing with it's BitMap. For
> all you know, it may be doublebuffering the BitMap structure in its screen, so
> you would only get one BitMap, and you wouldn't know that there is another.

What if you know these things in advance?

R. Luebbert