[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] resedit for AMIGA

NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.BITNET (06/07/91)

>From:  IN%"mykes@amiga0.sf-bay.org"  "Mike Schwartz"  7-JUN-1991 10:18:20.47
>In article <stevek.4958@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) writes:
>>Would it be possible to construct a ResEdit (MAC) type program for the Amiga?
>>If your not familiar with ResEdit (which I doubt) it is a program that lets
>>you edit the aspects of other programs such as colors, icons, window types,
<>window positions, menus, fonts, buttons & fields, etc. in a nice icon driven
>>enviroment.  Can this be done on the Amiga, or are Amiga executables not
>>standardized enough to tell one thing from another?
>>
>>-=*> Steve Krulewitz -------------------- UUNET!tronsbox!amiglynx!stevek <*=-

>Actually, I've been discussing somethine like this with a friend of
>mine who programs X-Windows.  There is a program called PowerWindows
<which does some of what ResEdit does, except it generates source code.
>The Amiga doesn't provide both CODE and RESOURCE forks, so a ResEdit
>program would have to work with external/separate resource files.  The
>Amiga does support a Debug HUNK in the middle of your executable,
>which is normally used by debuggers.
>
>So what I have been thinking is that you sould make a ResEdit type program that
>works with an external file.  The application program would use the resources
>from the external file during development, and the debug hunk in the applicatio
>is used for debuggers.  When you want to ship the product, the resource file
>could easily be stored in the Debug HUNK so when you drag the icon for the
< program,
>its resources go with it.  The "ResEdit" program could then be used to alter th
>data in the Debug HUNK at a later time...
>
>--
>* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
>* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

A program that is very handy in the MACINTOSH world is PROTOTYPER.
this is a program that lets you built windows and menubars, pictures,
key-board shortcuts, cut and paste, print menu, page setup menu,
their DA-handler routines, and the standard startup fuctioncalls.
All this is done with the mouse. The program than generates a whole
bunch of source code files, that you can edit to write your program.
Basically, all you have to program is:
-What happens is th user does so and so.
(Offcourse this is easier on a Mac than an AMIGA, since the MAC is
totally event driven)
I thought that for the amiga world, such a code generator would be very nice,
but it should not create executable files, instead it should create
libraries, which contain the window structures etc, and their handling
routines.
I have to questios with that though:
- Is it possible to put data in libraries?
- Is it possible to have global, and static varialbles in libraries?

Does anyone think such a program might be handy?
Nils (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@fandm.bitnet)