[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] BindNames 1.0

david@walking.pub.uu.oz.au (David Le Blanc) (06/02/91)

Does anybody remember the utility called 'BindNames V1.0' dated -3/14/89 by
Dave Haynie?

What I want to know, is there a new version available under 2.0? Or (even better)
does 2.0 support this sort of feature directly (It's a brilliant Idea) ?

Cheers.
   David

    David Le Blanc    UUCP (home)   : eyrie!walking!david@labtam@munnari.oz
    david@walking     ACSNET (work) : david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz
                                      CSIRO Division of Geomechanics
    "Life? Dont talk to ME about life.. " :  Marvin the paranoid android.

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (06/07/91)

In article <4110@cbmehq.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <6037@walking.pub.uu.oz.au> david@walking.pub.uu.oz.au (David Le Blanc) writes:
>>Does anybody remember the utility called 'BindNames V1.0' dated -3/14/89 by
>>Dave Haynie?
>
>Yeah, I kinda recall that one.
>
>>What I want to know, is there a new version available under 2.0?
>
>There really should be.  When I spend less than 60 or 70 hours a week at C=,
>maybe I'll update it.  Virtually all the bad pieces (eg, ugly hacks that
>were necessary to get around the non-existance of a couple OS calls) can
>go away under 2.0.

If you ever get the time: How about making it possible to add the assigns
via tooltypes? It would make it great for WB users out there. (I.E. most
Amiga 2.0 users.)

Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commsore Sweden
{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

In article <6037@walking.pub.uu.oz.au> david@walking.pub.uu.oz.au (David Le Blanc) writes:
>Does anybody remember the utility called 'BindNames V1.0' dated -3/14/89 by
>Dave Haynie?

Yeah, I kinda recall that one.

>What I want to know, is there a new version available under 2.0?

There really should be.  When I spend less than 60 or 70 hours a week at C=,
maybe I'll update it.  Virtually all the bad pieces (eg, ugly hacks that
were necessary to get around the non-existance of a couple OS calls) can
go away under 2.0.

>Or (even better)does 2.0 support this sort of feature directly

Not that I know of.

>(It's a brilliant Idea)

Thanks.  I still use it.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (06/08/91)

In article <22242@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
   >What I want to know, is there a new version available under 2.0?

   There really should be.  When I spend less than 60 or 70 hours a week at C=,
   maybe I'll update it.  Virtually all the bad pieces (eg, ugly hacks that
   were necessary to get around the non-existance of a couple OS calls) can
   go away under 2.0.

[Enter introspection mode...]

Hmm - do I really want Dave to take time away from building spiffy
hardware to update his spiffy software? Hard call. Probably best if he
does what he thinks is best.

[Exit introspection mode...]

If you're going to do it, I tweaked it to check for a "directory"
argument, defaulting ty sys:names. That way, I can move the names
directory off the WB partition, so that something I don't have to
worry about clobbering it on OS udpates.

   >Or (even better)does 2.0 support this sort of feature directly

   Not that I know of.

I couldn't find it either. Howe

   >(It's a brilliant Idea)

   Thanks.  I still use it.

Ditto, for both.

	<mike
--
Round about, round about, in a fair ring-a.		Mike Meyer
Thus we dance, thus we dance, and thus we sing-a.	mwm@pa.dec.com