[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Suggestions of beginner C books?

bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) (06/03/91)

I am a new programmer in Amiga C using Lattice/SASC 5.10.  If anyone has any
suggestions of good books to help me a long I would really appreciate it.
I currently have "Amiga C for Beginners" by Abacus and "Inside the Amiga with
C" by The Waite Group.  The latter has done a fairly good job of teaching me
about winodws and gadgets, but doesn't get into how to make say a gadget do
something.  The former is more of a introduction about C in general.

I need any information having to do with intuition at this point!

 : Bob Maple, The Brazilian : Tune in next time for "Stupid White People //:
 :   bmaple@nyx.cs.du.edu   : Tricks!"    -SNL                       _  // :
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::........................................\\//..:

ceej@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) (06/03/91)

bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) writes:

>I am a new programmer in Amiga C using Lattice/SASC 5.10.  If anyone has any
>suggestions of good books to help me a long I would really appreciate it.
>I currently have "Amiga C for Beginners" by Abacus and "Inside the Amiga with
>C" by The Waite Group.  The latter has done a fairly good job of teaching me
>about winodws and gadgets, but doesn't get into how to make say a gadget do
>something.  The former is more of a introduction about C in general.

>I need any information having to do with intuition at this point!

As far as I have seen, there simply _aren't_ any good Amiga C programming
books.  The Waite Group's and Rob Peck's "Programmer's Guide to the Amiga"
are probably the best, but neither is really that good.  "Mapping the Amiga"
appears to be a very good reference, as does Morimore's 2-volume "Amiga
Programmer's Handbook", but neither are nor claim to be tutorials.  One
real good possibility would be to download yourself the "Amiga C Manual"
from hubcap.clarkson.edu (/pub/amiga/incoming/PROGRAMMING) or your favorite
Fish Disk site (disks 456 and 457).  This is a simply amazing labor of love
by Anders Bjerin, consisting of 4 disks' worth of straight to-the-point
instructions on how to do things and dozens of example programs, both
source and compiled and ready to play with.  I haven't been through nearly
all of it yet, but it seems to be an excellent source of learning and is
very clear and consise, if a bit over-simplified in parts (but you'll learn
where later, won't you? =).  I won't claim until I've read more that it's
the best thing since sliced HAM, but at the price it's certainly worth a
look-see!  (=

Enjoy...

> : Bob Maple, The Brazilian : Tune in next time for "Stupid White People //:
> :   bmaple@nyx.cs.du.edu   : Tricks!"    -SNL                       _  // :
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::........................................\\//..:

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery
ceej@rpi.edu

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (06/03/91)

Well, I went through all the Amiga books at one time or another,
***foolishly*** trying to save a measly $10 or so by buying cheap
books instead of the right book.

Finally, I bought the Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:  Libraries
and Devices, Addison-Wesley, 1990.

All the other books were a waste, compared to this one.  So what if it costs
a few dollars more.

I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating.  Commodore should
subsidize all the compiler companies the few bucks it would require
to be sure that this book is included with every compiler sold!!!
I remember when the Mac first came out, Apple gave many universities
the right to duplicate Inside Macintosh.  At CMU, every sophomore had
a copy.  This helped spread the word about how neat the Mac was (then 8-).

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (06/04/91)

In article <91154.103753UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

>Finally, I bought the Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:  Libraries
>and Devices, Addison-Wesley, 1990.
>
>All the other books were a waste, compared to this one...

Just wait until you see the 2.0 manuals.  No, they're not done yet,
but I can tell you from personal experience that the Intuition chapters
have undergone a major facelift.  However, you may not like the change.
Gone are all the sentences like "Intuition gazes deeply into the essence
of every event it sees."  Gone are the style notes from Jimm and RJ (boy
is Peter mad, he never got his 15 minutes of fame!  :-)  The examples
have also been re-done, hopefully they're more readable (depends on how
you like your braces.)

One final note:  In general these will not be compatibility guides.  The
new manuals show how to do things the 2.0 way.  If you are interested in
programming under 1.3 or being compatible with 1.3, you might want the
current set of RKMs as well.  (Oh, great, Addison Wesley will love me.
What a plug!)
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (06/04/91)

In article <22133@cbmvax.commodore.com>, ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
> In article <91154.103753UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>>
>>Finally, I bought the Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:  Libraries
>>and Devices, Addison-Wesley, 1990.
>>
>>All the other books were a waste, compared to this one...
>
> Just wait until you see the 2.0 manuals.  No, they're not done yet,
> but I can tell you from personal experience that the Intuition chapters
> have undergone a major facelift.  However, you may not like the change.
> Gone are all the sentences like "Intuition gazes deeply into the essence
> of every event it sees."  Gone are the style notes from Jimm and RJ (boy
> is Peter mad, he never got his 15 minutes of fame!  :-)  The examples
> have also been re-done, hopefully they're more readable (depends on how
> you like your braces.)
>
> One final note:  In general these will not be compatibility guides.  The
> new manuals show how to do things the 2.0 way.  If you are interested in
> programming under 1.3 or being compatible with 1.3, you might want the
> current set of RKMs as well.  (Oh, great, Addison Wesley will love me.
> What a plug!)
> --
> --
> Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
> uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
> bix:  kfarinsky

When will these be available? I am putting off buying RKMs until the new set
comes out.

R. Luebbert
INET: mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu
BNET: mrimages@utmbeach

cjfst4@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Chad Freeman) (06/05/91)

In article <22133@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:

>Just wait until you see the 2.0 manuals.  No, they're not done yet,
>but I can tell you from personal experience that the Intuition chapters
>have undergone a major facelift.  However, you may not like the change.
>Gone are all the sentences like "Intuition gazes deeply into the essence
>of every event it sees."  Gone are the style notes from Jimm and RJ (boy
>is Peter mad, he never got his 15 minutes of fame!  :-)  The examples
>have also been re-done, hopefully they're more readable (depends on how
>you like your braces.)

It would be really great if something else were gone, namely the
numerous references to 'see includes and autodocs for information about
this function.'  I don't think it would add too many more pages to
at least give the format and a short description of these functions.  It
would also allow the Libraries and Devices tome to actually stand on its
own.  But I guess that doesn't sell as many books <sigh>.

ryan@amix.commodore.com (Ryan Sheftel) (06/05/91)

bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) writes:

> I am a new programmer in Amiga C using Lattice/SASC 5.10.  If anyone has any
> suggestions of good books to help me a long I would really appreciate it.
> I currently have "Amiga C for Beginners" by Abacus and "Inside the Amiga with
> C" by The Waite Group.  The latter has done a fairly good job of teaching me
> about winodws and gadgets, but doesn't get into how to make say a gadget do
> something.  The former is more of a introduction about C in general.
>
> I need any information having to do with intuition at this point!

You should check out the C Manual. It is a four disk set that describes
how to use the Amiga's features in C. Very extensive. If you would like
them, give me a call at 215-527-4014.

----------
Ryan Sheftel

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!ryan
Internet: undrground!ryan@amix.commodore.com

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (06/06/91)

UGH!!!! I want the style notes!!!!! They are the symbol of the frindly ness
of people in the amiga community. They set us appary from the drugges in the
MS-DOS world!

--
ACK!!!!
	-Bill the Cat

Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (06/06/91)

In article <50081@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>UGH!!!! I want the style notes!!!!! They are the symbol of the frindly ness
>of people in the amiga community. They set us appary from the drugges in the
>MS-DOS world!

The style guide is a seperate manual now.  It _should_ already be
available at your local bookstore (published by Addison Wesley).

saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) (06/08/91)

In article <22203@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <50081@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>>UGH!!!! I want the style notes!!!!! They are the symbol of the frindly ness
>>of people in the amiga community. They set us appary from the drugges in the
>>MS-DOS world!
>
>The style guide is a seperate manual now.  It _should_ already be
>available at your local bookstore (published by Addison Wesley).
>--
>--
>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
>uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
>bix:  kfarinsky

What exactly is a style guide?  I can't say I've ever heard the
term.  Also, exactly what book are you referring to?  Is it Commodore specific,
or General C?

Please excuse my ignorance ...

* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Torme!" - Top Secret