[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Semaphores

bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au (John Butcher) (06/08/91)

In article <22103@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Michael Sinz writes:

> Useage of public Signal Semaphores is a very good way to do this since you
> and then obtain the semaphore to play with the data.  Just allocate the data
> with AllocMem() and connect it to a SignalSemaphore that was allocated
> and attached to the public semaphore list.  (See AddSemaphore() and
> FindSemaphore() in the autodocs for details)

Ive never touched semaphores on the the Ami, but Im reliably informed that
there is a fairly major bug in them somewhere, is this true ? was it true ??
could it be true on alternate days ???

 John Butcher : bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au
                ..!munnari!eyrie.oz.au!asgard!bart
"It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs" -D.Wolfskil

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf'Rhialto'Seibert) (06/10/91)

In article <ARN068f_has_a_bug_01@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au> bart@asgard.pub.uu.oz.au (John Butcher) writes:
>Ive never touched semaphores on the the Ami, but Im reliably informed that
>there is a fairly major bug in them somewhere, is this true ? was it true ??
>could it be true on alternate days ???

Only the function that makes semaphores public is broken. I guess it is
called AddSemaphore. You can easily replace it with something like
Forbid(); Enqueue( ... ExecBase->SemaphoreList ...); Permit() or
something along those lines. But if you don't make them public there
is no problem at all, they work quite well.

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg