[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] "Classic" articles from the greats--post on the net?

dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (06/10/91)

The two Classic Amiga programmers journals have been out of business,
and presumably out of print, for more than two years now.  (I'm
speaking of Transactor and Amigan Apprentice and Journeyman.)  So many
articles in those old magazines will presumably be lost for all time...

Some of the frequent authors whose works have been especially useful
to me are Betty Clay, William Hawes, and John Toebes, who wrote many
columns for both magazines, on topics ranging from font formats to
esoteric assembly language tricks, to general C language programming
tips.

It seems that a few of the authors of those articles are here on the
net, or could reach Usenet somehow.  So, what is the possibility that
these articles could be reprinted electronically, and perhaps even
be collected onto a Fish Disk or two?

This would be a great service to the Amiga community, both to programmers,
who would be able to get up to speed more easily, and to users, who would
presumably benefit from whatever benefitted programmers.

Comments, discussions, proposals?

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee             / "I stood there on the sidewalk, Roy Rogers
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/lunchpail in my hand.  Then I heard sweet children's

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (06/10/91)

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "great", but I did have a few articles
in the TransAmi.  Since I kept the copyrights, I can post them if anyone
cares.  I'll post a copy of the original message up on BIX as well to
see what people there say.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun10.015239.2829@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:
| Well, I wouldn't call myself a "great", but I did have a few articles
| in the TransAmi.  Since I kept the copyrights, I can post them if anyone
| cares.  I'll post a copy of the original message up on BIX as well to
| see what people there say.
|
| --
| Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
|            Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

I think that would bre great. I know I'd be more than interested.
Especially as the AmiTransactor was before my time with the Amiga.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (06/11/91)

writes:

>Well, I wouldn't call myself a "great", but I did have a few articles
>in the TransAmi.  Since I kept the copyrights, I can post them if anyone
>cares.  I'll post a copy of the original message up on BIX as well to
>see what people there say.

I'm no "great" either, but I'd be willing to put out my "Toy" articles.
Seeing as I never got paid for them, I expect I still "own" them. I've
been meaning to for some time, but I want to redo the object-file-output
stuff to be a little cleaner - it's pretty icky.

--
Chris Gray   alberta!ami-cg!cg	 or   cg%ami-cg@scapa.cs.UAlberta.CA

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/11/91)

In article <cg.1687@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>I'm no "great" either, but I'd be willing to put out my "Toy" articles.

	Such modesty!!  I, on the other hand, *am* great, and I *didn't*
have any articles in Transactor.  I wonder if there's a relationship here....

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |