[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] begin 644 FILENAME?

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (06/07/91)

How do you extract files printed in mail or on the net that begin:

begin 644 FILENAME
blahblahblah*&($#*&@(#$
end

And where would these extraction files be located?

Thanks,
R. Luebbert
mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (UT Medical Branch Galveston)

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/08/91)

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:

>How do you extract files printed in mail or on the net that begin:

>begin 644 FILENAME
>blahblahblah*&($#*&@(#$
>end

>And where would these extraction files be located?

Using an editor remove everything before 'begin' and after 'end' and
type 'uudecode msgfilename'.  uudecode is probably on the machine
you're using, but is also available for the Amiga (probably a
copy on ab20 somewhere).

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/08/91)

Files starting with begin <number> <filename> are uuencoded files, you
need uudecode to extract them.

      Willy.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.191735.8813@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
   mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:

   >How do you extract files printed in mail or on the net that begin:

   >begin 644 FILENAME
   >blahblahblah*&($#*&@(#$
   >end

   >And where would these extraction files be located?

   Using an editor remove everything before 'begin' and after 'end' and
   type 'uudecode msgfilename'.  uudecode is probably on the machine
   you're using, but is also available for the Amiga (probably a
   copy on ab20 somewhere).

The edit step isn't necessary, unless there's a bogus begin line in
the file. uudecode is bright enough to find these things.

	<mike
--
Round about, round about, in a fair ring-a.		Mike Meyer
Thus we dance, thus we dance, and thus we sing-a.	mwm@pa.dec.com

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (06/11/91)

:
: >How do you extract files printed in mail or on the net that begin:
:
: >begin 644 FILENAME
: >blahblahblah*&($#*&@(#$
: >end
:
: >And where would these extraction files be located?
:
: Using an editor remove everything before 'begin' and after 'end' and
: type 'uudecode msgfilename'.  uudecode is probably on the machine
: you're using, but is also available for the Amiga (probably a
: copy on ab20 somewhere).

  Actually, uudecode/encode were made to decode files from mails, so
you don't even have to remove lines before 'begin' and after 'end'.
What would they be there for, else?

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@taloa.unice.fr                       $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/12/91)

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) writes:

>  Actually, uudecode/encode were made to decode files from mails, so
>you don't even have to remove lines before 'begin' and after 'end'.

OK, OK!  I've had quite a few people tell me privately and publicly
you don't need to edit the file.  I guess I assumed that based on 'shar'.
Maybe I'll RTFM one of these days. :-)

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu