[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] releasing source code

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (06/13/91)

In article <3036@public.BTR.COM> valentin@btr.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea  valentin@btr.com) writes:
>Having the source code of these games is not a necessity to understand how to
>play, but having the source code to the OS can cut down sharply on the learning
>curve of how to use some functions.

No, that's wrong.  If you can't learn how to use the functions from the
external documentation, then the documentation needs to be improved.  If
anything, looking at the source code can be dangerous because you'll
start relying on internal functions and undocumented behaviour.

>Quite a few companies provide the OS sources to their custommers; Commodore
>would not be an exception. Any real-time OS for embedded systems is supplied
>in source code form, including Vrtx, pSOS, OS/9, and others. Ever wondered
>how come these companies are not afraid of having their work plagiarized?
>The answer is quite simple, copyrights.

Embedded systems are a special case.  The buyers of these OSes are actually
repackaging them in ROM as part of another product.  The the end-user the
OS isn't even supposed to be visible.  Embedded system developers may also
need the source to be able to adapt the OS to their special hardware
requirements.

The copyright symbol does not prevent the theft of software.  It acts as
a deterrent to a lot of people, and provides the owner of the software
with legal recourse should said software be pirated, but it won't stop
the pirating on its own.  In effect you'd like Commodore do be another
FSF and distribute its software for free.  I would rather see Commodore
make money off its software development so it can keep making Amigas
and keeping the rest of us happy.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.