[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] amiga resedit exists

"john russell" <john.russell@canrem.uucp> (06/10/91)

Well, a technique for doing the same sort of thing anyway.  Look at Matt
Dillon's "config" program and the source for some of his utilities that
use it (eg. recent DME releases).  He uses a magic cookie in the data
area to signal "the next bit is a X" (screen, window, etc.).  Then
"config" modifies the executable to customize selected fields of those
structures.

John
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.848.3819@canrem.uucp> john.russell@canrem.uucp (john
russell) writes:
> Well, a technique for doing the same sort of thing anyway.  Look at Matt
> Dillon's "config" program and the source for some of his utilities that
> use it (eg. recent DME releases).  He uses a magic cookie in the data
> area to signal "the next bit is a X" (screen, window, etc.).  Then
> "config" modifies the executable to customize selected fields of those
> structures.

         That's exacty what it is, except it's a little on the 'hack'
side, and that it's not standard (since there's no standard), and it's not
that recent you could use it on DME I think a couple of years ago.

         And of course he didn't have time and it wasn't worth for him to
write a nice program a la ResEdit to modify these. So what about putting
these structures (or 2.0 tags) in a different chunk (along with the code,
data, bbs ... aso chunks) documenting the whole thing, and writing an
AmigaResEdit ?

              JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>