[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] AmigaDOS 2.0 and external hard drives

lhotka@incstar.com (06/01/91)

I have an ST251N which was connected to my A500.  I got an A3000 and
plugged in the drive.  My second partition shows up just fine (after
running the 2.0 HD configure program), but I can't get the first partition
to show up.

I know why - in the HD config program it won't let me specify the first
partition to start at a cylinder lower than 2, but on the 500 in my
mountlist I had it starting at cylinder 0.

Why won't the HD config program let me use cylinders 0-1??  Is there a way
to make this work for me?

I realize that I can just reformat the first partition to the new size, but
my intent is to mount it as is and copy it's contents to the 3000's
internal drive...  More importantly, I am wondering why the system appears
to be forcing two cylinders to be basically wasted on the drive.

Thanks!

 Rockford Lhotka                                INCSTAR Corp
 Applications Project Leader                    1990 Industrial Blvd
 lhotka@incstar.com                             PO Box 285
 612/779-1701                                   Stillwater, MN 55082

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (06/03/91)

In article <2655.2847ab57@incstar.com>, lhotka@incstar.com writes...

>I have an ST251N which was connected to my A500.  I got an A3000 and
>plugged in the drive.  My second partition shows up just fine (after
>running the 2.0 HD configure program), but I can't get the first partition
>to show up.
>
>I know why - in the HD config program it won't let me specify the first
>partition to start at a cylinder lower than 2, but on the 500 in my
>mountlist I had it starting at cylinder 0.
>
>Why won't the HD config program let me use cylinders 0-1??  Is there a way
>to make this work for me?

It thinks it is a bootable partition.  I believe that if you change the
configuration so that its not bootable it should work.

	John

rzv30@cccvm.ccc.amdahl.com (Rene' A. Vega) (06/12/91)

Be very careful when configuring your existing external hard drive with the
Amiga 3000 HDTools program. The reason you're not allowed to specify a
partition beginning at cylinders 0 and 1 is because the configuration program
uses those first two cylinders to house the partition map. One of the last
things it does is WRITE to those cylinders. Fortunately for me, both of my
external hard drives had an expendable partition beginning on cylinder 0, and
so  it wasn't a disaster that those first two cylinders were overwritten.

Rene' A. Vega
Computer & Systems Architecture

rzv30@cccvm.ccc.amdahl.com (Rene' A. Vega) (06/12/91)

Many cautions regarding the HDconfig program. It uses cylinders 0 and 1 to
house the partition map, which is why a partition cannot be defined to begin at
less than cylinder 2.

carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) (06/14/91)

In article <5bEB02Zw08Nj01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> rzv30@cccvm.ccc.amdahl.com (Rene' A. Vega) writes:
>Be very careful when configuring your existing external hard drive with the
>Amiga 3000 HDTools program. The reason you're not allowed to specify a
>partition beginning at cylinders 0 and 1 is because the configuration program
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>uses those first two cylinders to house the partition map. One of the last
>things it does is WRITE to those cylinders. Fortunately for me, both of my
>external hard drives had an expendable partition beginning on cylinder 0, and
>so  it wasn't a disaster that those first two cylinders were overwritten.

I would just like to note that this use of the initial cylinders is not
an arbitrary choice made by HDTools.

The standard Amiga specification for Rigid Disk Block, which was
developed by Commodore-Amiga in conjunction with a number of
3rd party Amiga hard disk controller manufacturers (I believe
over two years ago), specifies that partitioning information, softloaded
filesystems, bad block maps, and other information be stored in a particular
format in the initial cylinders of the drive.
(see Amiga RKM Libs and Devs, Expansion Library chapter for more info)

This is what makes it possible to move many Amiga harddrives not
only between systems but even between different brands of
controllers that support Rigid Disk Block, and have all of
your partitions come up magically.

 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 Pad with zeros for a light, airy program.