[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Strange guru....

hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Sch"urkamp) (06/12/91)

Hi folks,
I've got a question about a guru I encountered the other day when trying
to install something on my harddisk. I'm using an Amiga 500 2,3 mb with
Kick1.3 rev 34.5 and evolution 2.2 80 mb quantum. The machine guru'ed and
gave me a meditation 00000002D.task_address
                       ^           ^
                       |           |
    not sure about the number      task causing guru was harpoon's "H"
    of leading zeros.

I've been programming the Amiga for about 4 years now, but I've never come
across this one.

Any help? Suggestions?
hoover
--
Uwe 'Hoover' Schuerkamp                     (hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de)
"It's impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (06/13/91)

 Guru number can come from 'trash' code and user set....
 So you cant really tell what they mean when caused by 'unknow'
 programs.

carolyn@cbmvax.commodore.com (Carolyn Scheppner - CATS) (06/14/91)

In article <56098@nigel.ee.udel.edu> hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Sch"urkamp) writes:
>Hi folks,
>I've got a question about a guru I encountered the other day when trying
>to install something on my harddisk. I'm using an Amiga 500 2,3 mb with
>Kick1.3 rev 34.5 and evolution 2.2 80 mb quantum. The machine guru'ed and
>gave me a meditation 00000002D.task_address
>                       ^           ^
>                       |           |
>    not sure about the number      task causing guru was harpoon's "H"
>    of leading zeros.
>
>I've been programming the Amiga for about 4 years now, but I've never come
>across this one.

Pretty much any guru between 00000000 and 0000002F is a standard
68000 exception number.  They can be looked up in a 68000 reference.

#3 and #4 are very popular.

Partial list:

03 = Address Error (doing something on an odd boundary that processor
			doesn't like)

04 = Illegal Instruction (executing random memory contents or data)

05 = Divide by zero

0A = Line 1010 (executing instruction starting with $A)

0B = Line 1111 (executing instruction starting with $F)

[]

2D = TRAP #13 instruction executed (could be caused by executing
	random memory or data)
 Carolyn Scheppner -- Tech. Mgr. CATS - Commodore Amiga Technical Support
 PHONE 215-431-9180 {uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn  carolyn@commodore.com

 Signed characters are xenophobic.