[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] I got problem with overscan*interlace*PAL

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/03/91)

OK. I got the source code for WBPic by fridhjof Siebert
(it's in modula-2).
WBPic and SimGen does practically the same thing - they put
a 2-4 colour iff pic in the background, as colour 0.
WBPic does it by making a 8-16 colour pic(using the bit-
planes from both and making a new palette). Maybe SimGen
does it the same way, I don't know.

(We are now closing in on the subject...)

I use a PAL a500. Both of these programs fail on one type
of pictures. That is, interlaced, 4colour overscan pictures.
It seems like, when one tries this, that the machine acts like
the display is NTSC.

In the description of WBPic, it says noninterlaced pictures,
but it seems to work just fine. It works if the pictures are
2colour, but does the above error, if 4colour.

I've looked through the source  code for wbpic, and see no
limitations in it(it is simple, and easy to understand; I
can mail it to you if you're interested or would look at
it). Although he uses a Ifflibrary of some sort, forgot its
name. But SimGen fails also ,so I suspect this isn't the
problem.

I don't understand what goes wrong(why does it work with
2 colours). The overscan workbench is a result of a
'mutant' system-configuration; I haven't edited the numbers
myself, so it should be okay.

I believe NTSC users to have no problems(as it seems like
using NTSC overscan with the 4colour pictures).

I hope some people get curious at this, because I have
almost given up.
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.183144.22881@daimi.aau.dk>, pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:

> I use a PAL a500. Both of these programs fail on one type
> of pictures. That is, interlaced, 4colour overscan pictures.
> It seems like, when one tries this, that the machine acts like
> the display is NTSC.

If you mean that the display actually _truncates_ around the 400 line
mark on the screen (i.e. ALL windows disappear beneath there, as opposed to
only the backdrop picture being chopped off, with windows etc lower down
the screen still visible) then it could be the reasonably well known
bug relating to overscaned, 16 colour hires PAL screens. To find out,
while the screen is truncated, load preferences and use the centering
control in prefs to slowly move the screen left - you should find
that at some point the screen will suddenly start displaying full
depth again (I got caught with this running extreme overscan and
Jrcomm in 16 colour mode).

The solution is to leave your preferences set with the screen far enough
to the left that the chop-off doesn't happen...

| o      John Davis - CHEM194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz       o |
| o    (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department    o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/05/91)

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) writes:
>In article <1991Jun2.183144.22881@daimi.aau.dk>, pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>> I use a PAL a500. Both of these programs fail on one type
>> of pictures. That is, interlaced, 4colour overscan pictures.
>> It seems like, when one tries this, that the machine acts like
>> the display is NTSC.
>If you mean that the display actually _truncates_ around the 400 line
>mark on the screen (i.e. ALL windows disappear beneath there, as opposed to

Yes, this is what happens. The screen goes "NTSC", but the contents of
the screen stays what they should be. It looks like someone put tape
across the bottom of the display, so one cannot see what is going on down
there.

>the screen still visible) then it could be the reasonably well known
>bug relating to overscaned, 16 colour hires PAL screens. To find out,
>while the screen is truncated, load preferences and use the centering

I'll try this in a few hours from now.

>The solution is to leave your preferences set with the screen far enough
>to the left that the chop-off doesn't happen...

And that is the only solution? And whose "fault" is it, i.e. is it
a hardware or software bug, is it OS dependant(= fixed in 2.0) ? or
what? I'm glad to hear it was not me going mad, it has driven me
crazy( :-) for the last 2 years.

--
From the notorious

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf'Rhialto'Seibert) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.175631.20446@daimi.aau.dk> pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun2.183144.22881@daimi.aau.dk>, pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>>> I use a PAL a500. Both of these programs fail on one type
>>> of pictures. That is, interlaced, 4colour overscan pictures.
>>> It seems like, when one tries this, that the machine acts like
>>> the display is NTSC.

>And that is the only solution? And whose "fault" is it, i.e. is it
>a hardware or software bug, is it OS dependant(= fixed in 2.0) ? or
>what? I'm glad to hear it was not me going mad, it has driven me
>crazy( :-) for the last 2 years.

It is a software fault. Comparing different cases, analyzing the copper
lists that are generated, made this clear. The relevant factors are
1. >= 640+32 (= 672) pixels wide (hires)
2. > 216 lines high (in non-interlace mode)
3. 4 bitplanes
If you drag such a truncated screen below line 216 (if I remember that
number correctly) the area below reappears again.

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/14/91)

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf'Rhialto'Seibert) writes:

>>And that is the only solution? And whose "fault" is it, i.e. is it
>>a hardware or software bug, is it OS dependant(= fixed in 2.0) ? or
>>what? I'm glad to hear it was not me going mad, it has driven me
>>crazy( :-) for the last 2 years.

>It is a software fault. Comparing different cases, analyzing the copper

Yes, I know that moving the screen sufficiently to the left(below 216)
makes the problem disapper. But why does it go NTSC(?) at

>The relevant factors are
>1. >= 640+32 (= 672) pixels wide (hires)
>2. > 216 lines high (in non-interlace mode)
>3. 4 bitplanes

the conjunction of these factors? It works with 3 bitplanes, but not with
four; I would expect it to be hardware limitations then.

The reason I am still interested in this is, that I have had to move my
screen much more to the left than previously, to be able to view 16 colour
pictures.
   As a result of this, the horizontal position pin on my monitor had to
be adjusted a lot to the right, to put the picture back on the screen. And
this has given me a rim of light in the right side of the screen; it
seems like turning the screen to the extreme right makes the scan lines
"reflect back" on the screen again(does this make sense?). To avoid it,
I instead have to use smaller overscan screens, and this was not what
I wanted...

   On the same note, I remember having read several places, that overscan
was not "part of the system"/not supported; the effect of this being
that you should only hope for overscan to work, but not rely on it, i.e.
future changes to hardware may or may not support it.  Could anybody
with some knowledge date this information and tell, how "true" this is -
what is the "legal" state of overscan for the time being, as well as for
the future?

--
From the notorious