[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Bridgeboard's most powerful feature unavailable to users?

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey M. Wille) (06/13/91)

The introduction to "A2286/A2088 Bridgeboard User's Guide" states,

   "One of the most powerful features of the Amiga/Bridgeboard
   design is the ability to run software tailored specifically
   to take advantage of the combined strengths of the Amiga and
   PC systems. For example, a hybrid A2286 system using 80286
   and 80287 processors on the PC side could be performing process
   monitoring while the 68XXX series processor on the Amiga side
   is handling real-time graphics display of the process monitoring."

That is exactly what I want to do, (and what I bought the bridgeboard
for) but nowhere in the manual does it give the documentation for
using the Janus.library to pass information between bridgeboard and
Amiga programs.  I've heard that the "A500/A2000 Technical Reference
Manual" has some documentation for the Janus.library, but it is only
available to developers.

I have a 16 channel data acquisition board and 3-axis motion controller
on the PC side, and I'd like to be able to send start/stop commands
to my motion controller program and receive data from my data
acquisition program so that I can control and coordinate everything
from the Amiga side with a spiffy control panel.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I can do this?  I'd really appreciate
it.
				-Jeff

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.150953.3379@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>
wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey M. Wille) writes:

|                 I've heard that the "A500/A2000 Technical Reference
|Manual" has some documentation for the Janus.library, but it is only
|available to developers.

     BZZZT!  You can buy that book, and you don't have to be a
developer to do so.  (I have it, and I'm not a developer, simply a
curious, techno-weenie user.)  The cost of the book was $40US when I
bought it; I don't think that's changed since I bought it.  You do have
to buy it directly from CATS, though; it's not available in the stores
(that I know of).  The documentation is there regarding the
janus.library, but I don't know if what you're looking for is there.
Since I don't have a BridgeBoard, I've not been very interested in it.
The Technical Reference also has the schematics for all the Amigas but
the A3000s.  This is a *real* hardware manual, as opposed to the RKM
Hardware Manual, which is more of a register-level programming guide
(kind of a "soft hardware manual").

     The address I have on file for CATS is

                        CATS-Orders
                        1200 Wilson Drive
                        West Chester, PA 19380

     Hope this helps.  [tm]

                                    --dds

"The trackdisk's track seeks to seek   | Dale D. Snell        BIX:  ddsnell
 to Ami's request but Ami's request    | The Net:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
 seeks to seek the trackdisk's track   | CServe:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
 just one block per track per handle." | Disclaimer:  *Wha'd* he say??
                  -- Matt Dillon         (Is this better, Dan? :-) )

In article <1991Jun13.150953.3379@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey M. Wille) writes:

>That is exactly what I want to do, (and what I bought the bridgeboard
>for) but nowhere in the manual does it give the documentation for
>using the Janus.library to pass information between bridgeboard and
>Amiga programs.  I've heard that the "A500/A2000 Technical Reference
>Manual" has some documentation for the Janus.library, but it is only
>available to developers.

No, it's available to everyone. You also need to get the Janus
developer kit with includes and libraries for both Amiga and PC
side. All is available in US from CATS for everyone.