[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] How to determine which FS a disk uses?

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (06/13/91)

    I've got a 3000, and format most of my floppies under FFS nowadays.
Unfortunately, I never bothered to label many of the FFS floppies as such,
so now when I give them to non-3000 owners to use, problems arise :-).
    As an excercise in Amiga C programming, I'd like to throw together a
little utility to look at a specified disk and report what FS it has been
formatted under.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go abou this, as
I've found almost no documentation on how the OFS and FFS (others?
different versions of each?) are organized, so I'm a bit lost :-).
    Could some knowledgeable net.amiga.person enlighten me as to where to
look and what to look for to make the above determination?  (A lengthy
explanation of the FSs would be nice, but that might be pushing it a bit
:-).

    Sorry if my typing comes out garbled here & there... my fingers don't
seem to be responding correctly to my mind...

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (06/14/91)

In article <17277@chopin.udel.edu> don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>    I've got a 3000, and format most of my floppies under FFS nowadays.
>Unfortunately, I never bothered to label many of the FFS floppies as such,
>so now when I give them to non-3000 owners to use, problems arise :-).
>    As an excercise in Amiga C programming, I'd like to throw together a
>little utility to look at a specified disk and report what FS it has been
>formatted under...

I would recommend doing this as a script.  You can get all the
information you need from the info command.  Note the size
differences in the following:

    1. format drive df0: name blank-OFS quick noicons
    1. info df0:
    Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
    DF0:      837K       2    1756   0%   0  Read/Write blank-OFS

    1. format drive df0: name blank-FFS quick noicons FFS
    1. info df0:
    Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
    DF0:      879K       2    1756   0%   0  Read/Write blank-FFS
--
Ken Farinsky - CATS - Commodore Business Machines