[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Unknown residents

ccspad@gdt.bath.ac.uk (P A Dale) (06/14/91)

A friend of mine who also has an A590 put me onto this one.

He was checking out the residents list using ARTM (PAL version)
and noticed two unattributed residents (marked unknown rather than
say a library). I checked my list as well and sure enough there
they were. The first has the name <something>hookMJ, with the MJ in reverse
video and is at a priority of 5. The "hook" part makes me nervous. Then down
at the bottom of the list is "strap" and a priority of -60!

I've checked out memory with virusx4.01, kdviii and run the latest virus_checker
on my HD and no viruses have been found. I'm careful when it comes to these
things (my paranoia knows no bounds as I even check DOS disks which are
game originals like Railroad Tycoon and Warlords :-). Please could a
knowledgable soul set my mind to rest and explain what residents I should
typically see.

Both of us run A590s off A500s using the ARP library and commands.
I've checked the task list and it *looks* o.k. The Cool capture vectors
etc. are clear. Do I need a soft couch and a sympathetic ear (doctor, these
viruses are getting me down :-) ?

Ta,
Paul

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.091133.1684@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccspad@gdt.bath.ac.uk (P A Dale) writes:
>A friend of mine who also has an A590 put me onto this one.
>
>He was checking out the residents list using ARTM (PAL version)
>and noticed two unattributed residents (marked unknown rather than
>say a library). I checked my list as well and sure enough there
>they were. The first has the name <something>hookMJ, with the MJ in reverse
>video and is at a priority of 5. The "hook" part makes me nervous. Then down
>at the bottom of the list is "strap" and a priority of -60!
>
>I've checked out memory with virusx4.01, kdviii and run the latest virus
>checker on my HD and no viruses have been found. I'm careful when it comes
>to these things (my paranoia knows no bounds as I even check DOS disks
>which are game originals like Railroad Tycoon and Warlords :-). Please
>could a knowledgable soul set my mind to rest and explain what residents
>I should typically see.
>
>Both of us run A590s off A500s using the ARP library and commands.
>I've checked the task list and it *looks* o.k. The Cool capture vectors
>etc. are clear. Do I need a soft couch and a sympathetic ear (doctor, these
>viruses are getting me down :-) ?
>
>Ta,
>Paul

Take a tranquilizer, Paul. :) Those are normal things that you are seeing
in the residents list.  You are wise to be paranoid (but probably not
as paranoid as this) as there has been more than one case of commercial
software developers letting a virus slip past them on their release disks.
But to all I say that if you are going to have 'virus fever' to the point
that it impedes your enjoyment of computing, well, maybe ballet would be
safer. :)

Brian

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | Do you work to live or live to work?                                |

robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.091133.1684@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccspad@gdt.bath.ac.uk (P A Dale) writes:
>He was checking out the residents list using ARTM (PAL version)
>and noticed two unattributed residents (marked unknown rather than
>say a library). I checked my list as well and sure enough there
>they were. The first has the name <something>hookMJ, with the MJ in reverse
>video and is at a priority of 5. The "hook" part makes me nervous. Then down
>at the bottom of the list is "strap" and a priority of -60!

  These are both legitimate.  The first one is probably alert.hook.
The reverse video MJ is CTRL-M CTRL-J, or in other words CR LF.  It
looks like ARTM is looking at the IdString rather than the Name field.

entity@cccan.uucp (Entity (CCCAN-CU-Carnage)) (06/16/91)

Sort of related to what you guys were talking about (ie resident lists etc),
is it possible to set the cool capture vector from a cold captured routine?
From my experience, the system executes the cold capture routine, but
gets an error and flashes the screen yellow before ever reaching the cool
capture routine.  My understanding is that this is caused because the
execbase hasn't been initialized fully at coldcapture and so recalculating
the checksum is useless.

 What I'm trying to do is allocate memory for my coldcapture routine, but
since this can't be done from coldcapture, I am attempting to go through
coolcapture.  I don't want to use resident tag/struct etc.  Any way to
set the coolcapture from cold then?