[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Data compression and storage formats

kcampbel@uafhp.uark.edu (Keith Alan Campbell) (06/17/91)

As developers of the AD1016 digital audio system for SunRize, we have looked at
several methods of backing up the enormous data requirements of digital audio.
On the Mac, one of the solutions used by similar systems is to encode the audio
data and other files onto the DAT being used as the master recording deck. I
assume that there is some data compression being done on the file, as well as
duplication of file information to avoid error conditions. Does anyone here on
the net have any ideas concerning the use of standard or non-standard           compression schemes (including Reed-Solomon, tar, etc.) that would both speed up
effective transfer rates (uncompressed files would be transferred at 96k 16 bit
words per second) and add data integrity? Compression schemes could be
accelerated through the use of the board's DSP chip if necessary.

Don Kennedy
Vision Quest Systems

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (06/18/91)

 Some development group in europe are working on digital radio, and work
 a realtime 8 to 1 compresion.
 The decompression chip should be very cheap...
 There is more than algorithm in it! It was based on a study of the
 human 'hear'... You guess where I'm going to:-)
 Anyway the idea aplly to video also and I thought it was interesting.

								Stephan.

matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) (06/18/91)

In article <6734@uafhp.uark.edu> kcampbel@uafhp.uark.edu (Keith Alan Campbell) writes:

>As developers of the AD1016 digital audio system for SunRize, we have looked
>at several methods of backing up the enormous data requirements of digital
>audio.
[stuff deleted]
>Does anyone here on
>the net have any ideas concerning the use of standard or non-standard
>compression schemes (including Reed-Solomon, tar, etc.) that would both
>speed up effective transfer rates

Here at the federal institute of tecnology in Zurich we have a VLSI course,
next fall. During the year I will build an SCSI-to-Centronics chip and another
group will build a Reed-Solomon encoder/decoder. So if you wait approximately
one year (it will be done by march 92) you will have it on chip.

>Don Kennedy
>Vision Quest Systems
Bye
-Matija
| Q: What's the best way to catch a rabbit?             |
| A: Hide into a bush and mimic the voice of a carrot.  |